Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there alternatives to taping the rod joints? It seems to occupy a big part of my day.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
You can sometimes get by with waxing but it is a risk. Taping should not take more than an extra couple of minutes and it is well worth it.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,792 Posts
I use dubbing wax on my ferrules and have yet for one to seperate. The trick is not to use too much and to put your ferrules together while holding some rubbermaid spongy towels(not sure what they are called, but know that they are used to line the shelves of rv`s) in each hand and firmly secure your joints , also works great for stuck ferrules, just a little trick from the spey guru Bill `Wildturkey` Williams.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Do a search

for a lot more material on this topic to get the pros and cons.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Taping with inner tube strips

I've been trying "taping" with strips of rubber cut from bike tire inner tubes. Have glued pieces of velcro - one to the end of the last part of the strip and one that will be exposed when the strip is wrapped. When you unfasten the velcro, the strip just unwinds itself - spoing! - and is indefinitely resuseable. Seems to work pretty well, especially if the rubber surface (underside against rod) is a bit "sticky" and not too slippery. Still experimenting, but it hasn't failed yet and is faster than tape.

·
Registered
147 Posts
whether you tape or wax or do nothing at all. make very very very sure that the sections are fully seated together, I push mine together nearly as hard as I am physically able. no wax no tape..

Also whether you tape or wax or both or nothing check them often!! I have seen lots of broken rods that came loose inspite of being waxed and taped.. a loose ferrule = broken rod...

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Rob,

If you tape correctly, the ferrule will not loosen. That is why I tape so that I don't have to check.

sinktip

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Well, the taping issue raises every now and then, I guess there is no single one and only right way to do this (either, as any other thing :D). However, I am a little bit surprised about tha claim that taping takes too much time, as it is about 5 minutes all (tape on... tape off), and this time is quite short compared to the usual fishing time, normally (hopefully) several hours. But, I know serious practitioners of the art who never tape, only check regularly the joints and tighten them. I tape always, and especially my new rod, which has spliced joints :cool: .

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Lohi said:
I tape always, and especially my new rod, which has spliced joints :cool: .
Tell us more about the rod please!

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Ah, nothing special really, only a superb 14 ft #10 Sharpes of Aberdeen Scottie, spliced joint impregnated bamboo...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
what is it with the Sharpe's

two handers ,the carbon models,,hardly ever see them for sale,anywhere,,as for myself,,,i scratch the surface radially, with an automotive scratchpad,wether lightweight ferrules or spigots,clean with acetone,seems once set;they don't come apart,,my theory;carbon to carbon,the one thing about the tape,,seems to either stain the finish or ,pull it off,,as in the case of the B-W expert i purchased as a backup,,,of course the Daiwa's have the best,as far as impact resistance,,,finish i've seen:chuckle:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hammer,
What on earth kind of tape are you using, I have taped my Bruce & Walkers for over 30 years and with a rub with a duster to shift the glue they are like new.

They assemble the Sharpes just up the river from me but give me a B&W any day

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Tape

Hammer, You have to quit using that tape you took off the last car you painted.:hehe:

·
Registered
439 Posts
To Tape Or Not

Wax, I feel that wax is a dirt, grime magnet. Taping is a real drag and looks a little tacky on you new rod that you have given up your new born for.
There is a product called ferrule lube that you can use clean things up with so they work better. Hammer's suggestion will work also.
I personally don't tape, but check my ferrules all the time while fishing, or just casting at the park.
When I assemble my rod at the start of casting or fishing, I will pull and twist the sections to line things up. When instructing we insist that students tape their rods as they use more power than finesse to cast. So far only lost one mid section because of loose ferrule and that was at least 10 years ago.
Check the archives for more comments.

Good Luck,
Leroy.............................

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i'm with speyrod

on the grime thing,,,happened a couple times,even without wax,,pretty brutal,,especially after giving up my firstborn,,or was it my second,,?!,actually i REFUSE to tape, Willie,some day you'll read a tale about a fishing a Sharpe's early carbon two-hander during hot summer's eve's,,,,,i'll gladly hand you a B-W,loaded,anytime you're ready to fish the Rogue,,Mike,,hey don't give away my secret to profitability,,how else can i afford the longspey addiction,my best guess would be ,on the ferrules ; use what works;you'll know when it doesn't:hehe:

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never use to tape. When I cracked a joint on my D B fave [ which Winston was kind enough to repair] I thought I should change my ways.

·
Registered
498 Posts
taping

Just for the heck of it I emailed all the manufactuers to see what they say. Tape, wax , nothing

T&T just emailed me back. They recommend tape and checking for tightness throughout the day. Wax can be a bennifit if you are meticulos in your application.

I will post what the others say.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts