Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to use a spey rod...hopefully next week sometime...but I have Derek Brown's and Mel Krieger's videos. Brown recommends that the rod be taped (he doesn't say the type of tape to use so I guess it doesn't matter) but Krieger doesn't mention it. My question,then,is "is it really necessary or is it something that would need to be done after a rod has seen some service"? I know I have a trout rod that the tip sometimes separates from and end up in the water...but that rod is about thirty years old and has considerable wear...a brand new spey rod...really has to be taped? Also, someone has mentioned something about waxing...this would seem to be counterproductive to the taping. Am I to assume that that is to make the rod easier to break down after fishing? I know I have a habit (picked up from someone well over forty years ago) of rubbing the male end of each section behind the ear before inserting in the female end...same as waxing, I guess.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
It is of utmost importance to tape the ferrules of a rod when spey casting IMHO. The rod goes through some serious torsion and it's common for ferrules to come loose regardless of brand or design. The problem is less a matter of convenience but welfare of the rod - a cast made with a loose ferrule is almost sure to cause a break.

A pure parrafin or beeswax will add a layer of pliable material in the joint which has the effect of both holding fast and relieving the joint for take down. It is not ideal for days with temperature changes, common to mountain rivers because the temp change causes it to become more liquid, move around and then become more solid again as the day cools. It can be better than nothing but by no means as effective as tape.

Simple answer: tape or regret it.

Juro Mukai
CND Spey Rods
http://www.CNDspey.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Dana,

So, is it electricians tape, masking tape, duct tape, medicial adhesive tape,some other type....or does it matter. Either way, its going to leave a sticky residue when it's removed, isn't it...unless it's masking tape I suppose? Gotta be a pain to do that every time you use the rod.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Chare...

Gotta be a pain to do that every time you use the rod.
Yes it can be "a pain" to wrap it each time but it is not nearly as painful as a broken ferrule and the wait for it to be returned from the repair facility. Electrial tape is just fine. In hot weather there can be a sticky residue. 3M makes a tape called Decorate and Repair. While costing more for less tape it will leave very little residue even in very HOT weather. You have purchased a long belly line. Taping is important. Catch a BIG one. MJC

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've never used the Decorate and Repair, but when it comes to electrical tape (which I use) get 3M type 33. It's vastly superior to cheaper electrical tapes. When cold, the less expensive ones don't stretch as well and they break when aggressively taping.
Bill

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Cinch locks

I'm wondering why manufacturers don't make some kind of a nice, positive-locking system that locks both the x and y axes? No twist, no pull out.

Your thoughts?

Brooklyn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts