Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m just loving tapered leaders and small flies from my 15’ rod! I was up on the St Mary’s 2 new that ago, I was the only one there! And I saw Atlantic’s feeding like trout on a massive caddis hatch!! So spectacular!!!

Anyway, curious if anyone has messed with tapered leaders for skating dries and what formula helps turnover the best? As a note, I have 50lb test down to 12lb. I’m just not sure what would be a a good length for leader and how much of the big stuff vs lighter tippet.

My thoughts were that the 50lb to 20lb would make up the majority of the leader, and the 15lb-12lb would just be like 3 ft? I’m trying to keep the leader the length of the rod I think??

Anyway, any help much appreciated......thanks

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,256 Posts
I use long leaders >15' almost exclusively and have found that heavy leader butts are too stiff for my taste, I prefer more supple leaders.
Tied my own for years, usually starting with a 25# butt and a formula similar to a Schweitzer 4-piece. 60/20/20.

These days I'm using 15' Airflo or SA. Airflo's my favorite. Usually with 4' of tippet or so.

Reactions: raspberry-patch

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use long leaders >15' almost exclusively and have found that heavy leader butts are too stiff for my taste, I prefer more supple leaders.
Tied my own for years, usually starting with a 25# butt and a formula similar to a Schweitzer 4-piece. 60/20/20.

These days I'm using 15' Airflo or SA. Airflo's my favorite. Usually with 4' of tippet or so.
Thanks, I will look into that

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You are talking about poly leaders correct?? I just ordered a 15’ clear float, and I also have 2 10’ polys in different sink rates. So with my 38’ head I should be covered.

Any disadvantages to using poly leaders vs tapered leaders?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
You are talking about poly leaders correct?? I just ordered a 15’ clear float, and I also have 2 10’ polys in different sink rates. So with my 38’ head I should be covered.

Any disadvantages to using poly leaders vs tapered leaders?
I do not recommend poly leaders for riffle hitched flies as they sometimes dive & roll if the tension is not just right. That can put a twist in a poly leader & ruin it.
Because of that, I gave up on poly leaders & went back to hand tied mono leaders.

Reactions: SLSS

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not to highjack, but how long ago was this where you were fishing the Soo? How's the water, with all the gates open? I'm assuming this was inside the berm?

Would love to make it up that way really soon if conditions are at all fishable--even inside the berm.

On an aside, I really enjoy floating/intermediate Airflo polyleaders as well.

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to highjack, but how long ago was this where you were fishing the Soo? How's the water, with all the gates open? I'm assuming this was inside the berm?

Would love to make it up that way really soon if conditions are at all fishable--even inside the berm.

On an aside, I really enjoy floating/intermediate Airflo polyleaders as well.

Thanks!

Ryan
Just 2 nights ago. I love 45mins exactly from international bridge. Yes, inside the berm. I go to the wall and cast both sides though, just to see! But the water is probably going to be very high for the next several years!! You know, when the water got super low for us, everyone called it global warming. Now that the water is back up, it’s climate change!! Who knows, but it’s going to be high for awhile. Which isn’t bad because the fresh Atlantic’s push into the small side, especially during the big big hatches

Reactions: barnz3

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cool, thanks for the reply.

I live about 6 hours away, but may make it up in the next few weeks just to poke around.

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
I usually do a 50/30/20 formula now days for small flies or skating.
This formula lets me use a lighter butt for softer presentations.
For heavier lines (8/9/10) I start with 25lb, then 15lb and down to 10lb or 8lb.
For lighter lines (6/7/8), I start with 20lb, then 12lb and down to 10lb or 8lb.
These leaders range from 14ft to 22ft, all are made from Maxima Ultra Green.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts