Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an easy one:

Taping the rod sections together...Is this a good idea? If so, with basic electrical tape?

I'm curious to see if many of you seasoned spey guys do this or not.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes, and yes. A simple spiral wrap has kept me fractureless for nine years. Just park the tape on the shaft between uses; reuse a half-dozen times or so. Taping a joint takes a few seconds.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I know two kinds of spey anglers:

1) those who have split a ferrule and tape religiously

2) those who have yet to join group 1, but will soon

Juro

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
juro said:
I know two kinds of spey anglers:

1) those who have split a ferrule and tape religiously

2) those who have yet to join group 1, but will soon

Juro
You forgot group three, where I reside:

3) Never broke a rod and don't ever intend to, taping religiously.

None of my rods are so cheap or unworthy to me to warrant the risk of losing one. I wish there was a better way, but I have yet to see one.

There was a thread some time back where a member had found some strong tubing (not surgical, but similar) and was experimenting with it, claiming it held the rod sections together as well as tape with less work and mess, even possibly matching colors of the blank. I wonder what happened there?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
(#3) Ah yes - the very finest kind!

Thanks for the reminder re: the tubing thread. I definitely have to try it soon.

One thing I do recall about tubing - solar degradation and chemical residue. I used surge tubing on a favorite pair of fish pliers for toothy critters and once the rubber (latex?) disintegrated it affected the coating on the handle of the pliers.

I have no idea whether this interaction is a concern for a fine fly rod, but thought it might be worth a mention.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re Taping your new Sage 9141

Chris T. said:
Here is an easy one:

Taping the rod sections together...Is this a good idea? If so, with basic electrical tape?

I'm curious to see if many of you seasoned spey guys do this or not.

-Chris
Tape it while learning.

Then try it without tape, one section at a time and monitor any rod movement. That section/joint may need tape.

The Sage Euro rods are very tight. My Sage 6126, 7141 and my former 10151 never require taping.

In fact on warm days in Alaska, be sure to wax your ferrules before using, or you may not get the sections apart. One time fishing the Rogue, it got very hot, and my 4 piece 10151 became a two piece rod for the whole trip and the home trip. :( It took all types of tools and my wife holding the tips to get them separated. I had to ice the male sections while my wife held a hot pad to the female sections for a long time before they would even rotate a mm.

My new TCR 9129-4 seems to be really tight. Sometimes I have to re squeeze the joint section above the butt piece a little.

·
Registered
941 Posts
One thing I've determined for myself . . . the quality of electrical tape makes a big difference. For years I've used 3M Scotch Super 33+ tape rather than generic brands. It's much more flexible (doesn't break under application pressure), is useable over a wide range of temperatures and has excellent adhesion (and release). It's a great tape. I discovered that they have another tape that's supposed to be even better. I'll try it this year . . . Scotch Super 88.

·
124 Posts
my .02

I tape my rods every time I am out. I found a brand of 3M tape that I really like. It's not quite as sticky as other tapes and leaves no residue on my rods. It also comes in many colors. I can also re-use it. I try to match the color to the rod so that in blends in. A lot of guys give me Sh** about this and think that I'm trying to match the color so it looks good. The real reason is that I do this is when I have used black tape on my rods, I have had as many as 3 people (in one day) come up to me on the river and ask if my rod is broken. It's not that I mind people asking me questions, it just got tired of that particular one. Since I match the color to the rod, people don't seem to notice the tape on the rod.

-Doug

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Doung I use the colored tape as well. :smokin:

Unfortunately they do not have a color to match my new loomis sticks. Had to go back to black with them. Bummer.

It only takes 5 minutes to tape but 4-6 weeks to get a broken rod repaired. I will take the 5 minutes every time.

-sean

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
It only takes 5 minutes to tape but 4-6 weeks to get a broken rod repaired. I will take the 5 minutes every time. -sean
i take my previous statement back, regarding the Atlantis i had for a while. i taped that pretty good after breaking the male ferrule on the middle section. so, i did tape. at least when i had the Atlantis and not wanting to wait for weeks for the repair work.

vinnie

·
124 Posts
Hey Tim

Yes, I believe the 3M tape that I use is Vinyl. Even easy to take off in the dark :D

As far as the Salmon color shirt goes... Well, it's really comfortable and I will continue to wear it. Maybe not on the Rogue though.. :hihi:

-Doug

·
Registered
147 Posts
Juro and Moose, ah yes indeed you are right on!

I am new to the Spey Rod after a year of it. Was perplexed going in as to why would I have to tape this expensive toy? Well, I consulted with many of the top line rod manufacturers and almost unilaterally they recommended taping the ferrules on any Spey Rod of their manufacture. I did that and then waxed the ferrules as well. Well, after talking with Trevor Bross at T&T, he cautioned me not to use wax on any rod ferrule as the wax can/will act as a lapping medium and pick up grit from the air and environment to EVENTUALLY lap out the ferrules. Well, then some time later, Robert Meiser posted here on the Forum about a great product to replace the wax. That product is the "Ferrule Lube" made by Trondak, Inc. in WA State. Bob recommended purchasing it from Anglers Workshop in WA State. When used correctly as per the directions on the bottle, this is great stuff and one application lasts for a long time of many set ups and take downs. I will never go out without taping my ferrules per Dana's video clip of some month's ago and the Trondak Ferrule Lube being applied to my rod's ferrules. No way do I want to be casting a rod and have the ferrules "blow apart"..FWIW. Best, Stiver

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only rod I've ever blow was taped at the time. I now use only wax, and I check the rod once in a while to see if anything is coming loose. I like Brian Simonseth's idea of using surgical tubing over the joints--it looks to be a lot less bother than taping.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I am one of those who have always taped my 2-handers right from the first one I ever bought and I've never had a ferrule fail or break. In fact, I've been taping my single-hand rods for over 20 years as well ever since I had the top section of a brand new Loomis rod sail out about 60' into Montana's Missouri river the third time I fished with it. Fortunately, the hook of my elk hair caddis grabbed the tip top and I was able to get the rod section; however, I've taped evey one of my rods ever since because I never wanted to repeat this experience again.

I use either the 3M colored tape mentioned by several others or Plymouth brand Premium 37 color coded electrical tape (which I get at Home Depot). Both tapes work as well as one another, both come in different colors, both stay flexible in cold and heat, and both leave no residue behind when removed from the rod. They are far better than standard "cheap" black electrical tape and if you need or want black tape, both are available in black, blue, green, orange, red, yellow, brown, and purple.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.