Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many rods have you blow?

Were they taped.
Waxed.
Taped and waxed.
Neither.

I have blow two rods both were taped. I now wax exclusively.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ferrule wax and tape

BeBop,
Are you referring to rod failures at a ferrule?

I wax and tape every ferrule.

Zero failures at ferrules.

Please don't ask how many non-ferrule failures occurred
due to bonehead moves. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm referring to failures at the ferule.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Rarely tape but wax (Scott ferrules). Never had a break at a ferrule but did have the 1287 break for no reason I could determine in the mid section of a three piece rod.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The question I like to ask instead is "do your spey rod ferrules ever come loose after a while when untaped?".

If the answer is yes and you're not a taper, then you're probably about due for some trauma. It only takes that one fall day when the temperature changes 20 degrees from dawn to noon, or the rolling fish had your concentration off at the riverside when you strung it up, or that one big double reverse gainer snake pop and shoot had too much anchor and the physics of making things easier to carry come back and bite you in the butt.

If the answer is no, then the person either has very few rods, casts only with the lightest touch in tiny streams for short periods, or else has experienced a streak of luck exceeding the odds of hitting the tri-state lottery all by his or herself.

I have cast, fished or owned most of the major brands of spey rods and they all have come loose when subject to fishing over time. Wax or no wax.

Do I tape? Absolutely yes! IMHO, if you don't good luck to ya!

·
1,771 Posts
Hi John -

You're saying you don't tape spey rod ferrules and have no loosening? (keep in mind we're not talking single handers here)

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Hey juro, guys-

What kind of tape do you use to tape your joints? Also, do you go ahead and tape even spigot ferrules rods, and how is this best done?

Zach

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,392 Posts
I tape always when throwing long bellied lines. Wax only when throwing short heads and mostlt tape when throwing Mid-Spey length lines. I know I should tape always but yes I do get lazy.

Unlike our very own Kush who always tapes. In fact, the man is so fanatical about it that he even tapes his cigars. If you ask me, this is carrying it a bit too far. :D

As for my choice of tape -- 3M electrical

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hey, is that the Marlboro Man?

While breaking a rod due to failing to tape is a horrible thing - wasting a good Cuban cigar is a is completely out of the question!

·
1,771 Posts
Oh, yeah! :chuckle: Hey don't worry about it buddy, it was me who handed you the untaped rod at the show in the first place (oops!). Even still only a little nibble of the spigot got bit off by the female end and frankly we've been casting the heck out of it since! None the worse for wear.

After Friday Nobuo and I were up into the wee hours as he made design modifications to put a "layman's flex" into that blank across the series, well most of the series. Although the current tournament taper yields a lot of power after practice, we decided that it was more important to be accomodating to those picking up the two-handed overhand power rods for the first time. Once completed, I'd like to get your opinion on them and thanks for helping us out, you're a heck of a caster!

·
1,771 Posts
Kush has a good method, tape like a splint - first along the blank, then spiral over.

I just spiral over for quick sorties, but use his 2-step method for full days, weekends, etc. The key is to prevent the female ferrule from slipping off to the point where the shock of a cast shears the tubular structure of the rod.

Andre showed me an excellent idea and has got re-wrapping the tape around the blank at the starting point after fishing. This way you re-use the tape for a few trips. That way the tape is just sitting there when you set up, and if you don't use it, well it's my own fault. Works like a charm! ;)

I'll admit if it's just a pre-work hour I might not tape but they're always waxed and I check the ferrules frequently. Regardless of the ferrule style, model or brand mine come loose when spey casting. Fishing hard while untaped is like unsafe sex, Russian roulette. A rep from a major brand once told me the majority of spey rod breakages come from untaped loosened ferrules, I believe it - that and testing of new winter steelhead rods on chum ;)

Taping is good. IMHO if you feel a ferrule get loose and tighten it, you just dodged a bullet. Spey casting inherently loosens ferrules, snake rolling, snap-t, double spey, etc. My guess is after one explosion that spey caster will tape for life! :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Juro:

I wish we would have had the room to really give your CND rods a chance to perform. I was impressed with how easily they loaded and the feel that they maintained even with the additional length and weight. I beleive that "feel" in a rod is one of it's most important casting characteristics regardless of action. All that aside you are such a good caster I think you could make any rod look good. ;)

I found it interesting that even when the rod did finally break it was the top 1/4" of the ferrel. Talk about a strong blank.

Let me know when you want to get into some pig browns. I'm ready to get my rod bent by some of those stripers I keep seeing you guys hook up with.

John

J

·
0 Posts
I wax (actually parafin) AND tape without exception. The tape I found that works best for me is 3M Decorate and Repair. It leaves a lot less residue and comes in colors that almost match several rod blanks. It also comes in clear. I got a roll of this in green with my Winston Derek Brown Favorite (included in the tube) and decided it was worth the time to try and find more of it. Though not as cheap as most black electrical tape, the time saved in not having to remove as much residue seems to be a fair tradeoff. Be sure to do the longitudinal strip before doing the spiral wrap. The spiral wrap by itself is of only minimal help in keeping ferrules tight.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Wax & Tape

I wax and tape, always. I ususlly use electrical tape, but will probably go with JR's choice when I can get some 3M tape.

I have never had a failure at a ferrule, single or two handed. I have had a single and two spey rods break from blank failure.

I broke one spey rod riding a mountain bike on the Deschutes with the rod strung up. A gust of wind pushed the tip into a sagebrush and ruined a trip. Needless to say, I never bike with the rod rigged now - sometimes we do learn.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I do nothing. No tape. No wax. Nothing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts