Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Meiser Loop Loomis Lamson SpeyCo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I headed up to the Salmon River in NY for 3 1/2 days of salmon/steelhead fishing - also known on Columbus Day weekend as combat fishing. Almost landed a nice sized salmon on one of my flies - one with lots of orange, but unfortunately it escaped with my fly. Picked up some Spey hackle at Malinda’s and this is my first effort at incorporating some into a fly while keeping it orange.

Fluid Wood Eyewear Fashion accessory Glass

·
flytie09
1,672 Posts
Getting there. Still little things here and there….. but hey you’ll work through them.

What did you pick up for Spey hackle at Malinda’s? She has quite the selection. Eh?

And to make you feel better and understand where I’m coming from….. this was my first Spey style fly I ever tied. It was the Walt Geryk fly….named for the “Speydoctor” himself. Originated by Robert Lanzara. It’s ok, not horrible, but not great either. The crappy floss, bad tinsel work, wings blew apart….a complete disaster. Maybe the head is ok.

Fishing lure Bait Artificial fly Fish hook Fishing bait

This was Feb 2018. I tyed a couple of these up and was tickled I was entering uncharted territory with these new flies. I even had a couple with JC.

Spring ‘2018 was my first time trying them out on the SR. 1 week…..Nothing on these new flies.

I even met Walt up at the Old Fart’s hole that trip. I told him I knew who he was, showed him the fly with the oversized JC cheeks. He winced and told me to trim them. The eyes would scare the fish he said. I was crushed. No fish and the pattern namesake called them crap…. Yet ever so nicely.

What did I do? Quit? Sell all my ****? No…. I came back home from that trip determined that I would figure out how to tie these flies properly so they look right, are on the right hooks, with proper proportions and swim true. To the best of my abilities.

Over 3 years now and I’ve tyed flies at least one a day. Over a thousand in every style imaginable. Feather wing, strip wing, married wing, spoon wing, hair wing, spiders, bronze mallard, even full dress AS flies. I’ve read everything I could from Combs, Dec, Shewey, Veverka, Innes, here, YouTube, etc scouring every piece of information I could find on how the hell these flies are to be tied and why. Even going back to the OGs like Kelson, Francis, Murdoch and his work at the Gazzette. There’s a lot out there I assure you.

And I didn’t post my first fly on here until 2020. After hundreds of flies and hours invested in this. Why?Honestly, I’m insecure I guess. I don’t take criticism well and the guys on here could have picked every single thing about my flies apart. And I’ve tyed flies for over 35 years now. You’d think I’d have had it figured out by then. What the heck had I been doing?

Would they have? Probably not….. but if they would have I might have been chased away forever.

So…. Hopefully you get where I’m coming from. I see what you’re doing, right and wrong, know you’re trying and open enough to take criticism from the folks on here. Kudos to you. Because I assure you, the tyers know what they’re talking about on here…. and there are some even better that don’t even show their work or speak much. But we all want to see a tyer learn, progress, and in the end enjoy the sport of angling with a two handed rod.

That’s the beauty of this sport…. around every corner is a new discovery. Something new to Master. Keep on grinding as my boss always says. It will come together.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I headed up to the Salmon River in NY for 3 1/2 days of salmon/steelhead fishing - also known on Columbus Day weekend as combat fishing. Almost landed a nice sized salmon on one of my flies - one with lots of orange, but unfortunately it escaped with my fly. Picked up some Spey hackle at Malinda’s and this is my first effort at incorporating some into a fly while keeping it orange.

View attachment 386790
That will most certainly catch fish. Good stuff!!!!

·
Registered
Meiser Loop Loomis Lamson SpeyCo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting there. Still little things here and there….. but hey you’ll work through them.

What did you pick up for Spey hackle at Malinda’s? She has quite the selection. Eh?

And to make you feel better and understand where I’m coming from….. this was my first Spey style fly I ever tied. It was the Walt Geryk fly….named for the “Speydoctor” himself. Originated by Robert Lanzara. It’s ok, not horrible, but not great either. The crappy floss, bad tinsel work, wings blew apart….a complete disaster. Maybe the head is ok.

View attachment 386806

This was July 2018. I tyed a couple of these up and was tickled I was entering uncharted territory with these new flies. I even had a couple with JC.

Fall ‘2018 was my first time trying them out on the SR. 1 week…..Nothing on these new flies.

I even met Walt up at the Old Fart’s hole that trip. I told him I knew who he was, showed him the fly with the oversized JC cheeks. He winced and told me to trim them. The eyes would scare the fish he said. I was crushed. No fish and the pattern namesake called them crap…. Yet ever so nicely.

What did I do? Quit? Sell all my ****? No…. I came back home from that trip determined that I would figure out how to tie these flies properly so they look right, are on the right hooks, with proper proportions and swim true. To the best of my abilities.

Over 3 years now and I’ve tyed flies at least one a day. Over a thousand in every style imaginable. Feather wing, strip wing, married wing, spoon wing, hair wing, spiders, bronze mallard, even full dress AS flies. I’ve read everything I could from Combs, Dec, Shewey, Veverka, Innes, here, YouTube, etc scouring every piece of information I could find on how the hell these flies are to be tied and why. Even going back to the OGs like Kelson, Francis, Murdoch and his work at the Gazzette. There’s a lot out there I assure you.

And I didn’t post my first fly on here until 2020. After hundreds of flies and hours invested in this. Why?Honestly, I’m insecure I guess. I don’t take criticism well and the guys on here could have picked every single thing about my flies apart. And I’ve tyed flies for over 35 years now. You’d think I’d have had it figured out by then. What the heck had I been doing?

Would they have? Probably not….. but if they would have I might have been chased away forever.

So…. Hopefully you get where I’m coming from. I see what you’re doing, right and wrong, know you’re trying and open enough to take criticism from the folks on here. Kudos to you. Because I assure you, the tyers know what they’re talking about on here…. and there are some even better that don’t even show their work or speak much. But we all want to see a tyer learn, progress, and in the end enjoy the sport of angling with a two handed rod.

That’s the beauty of this sport…. around every corner is a new discovery. Something new to Master. Keep on grinding as my boss always says. It will come together.
I appreciate what you’re saying here, and appreciate the feedback. I post my flies so that I can learn from the critique you all provide. Veverka’s book should be here tomorrow, so I’ll have a good read of it. It’s all good.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good stuff, I’m new to tying spey type flies myself, just started a year or so ago. I can say that it took me a long time to post some pics. When I finally did, I got honest feedback that was needed. From then on, it all got more comfortable and everyone who commented was a great help to my progress. Actually, Spring 2021 April 6 to be exact, a steelhead slammed a fly I tied and all the mistakes, learning, and work came full circle. Good luck, on your tying!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts