Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used Talon Spey Rods and what you thought of them. They have 2 lines, the Cairnton and Highlander. I have one of there single handed rods and it is very nice.

Thanks Charlie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Charlie,

I purchased my first spey rod last winter, a cairnton 13' 8/9 F off Ebay for @ 200 bucks. I had started casting friend's rods for about 2 months the preceeding fall so I was a beginer caster, now after a full year i'm an expert beginer so read my review with my level of experience in mind.

Right off the bat I was suprised at how soft the rod was, seemed whippy compared to the borrowed sage, st croix and arc that I had my first casts with. I casted wind cutter, mid spey and mastery spey lines. Using sink tips the rod really bent over but did pull the tips up. Forming the D loop the rod was curved into a deep arc and slow in the forward cast. I'd describe it as slow and traditional. I checked out threads re: Talon and their web site and saw that they also market a S (for slow) and a XF (extra fast). I found myself wondering what the XF would feel like. I could'nt imagine that the S would be any slower. Talon's web site described their rods action as unique!

I caught the spey flu and last summer and I purchased an ARC, CND and T&T. All top of line. I live on a stream so I was able to fish or practice upwards of 100 days and got my 4 basic casts down using these three eclectic rods. Around Thanksgiving I realised that I had never caught a steelhead on my Talon so out I went. What a gas! The fish were in thick by then and I never had so much fun battling steelhead with the Talon bent over @90*. I even set up my XLT and Grand Spey and was amazed that the rod threw them way out there. I pretty much fished up till the river froze over with the rod. I can't say that I have a favorite rod, I love them all. Certainly a huge difference between them especially the fast action T&T. The Talon is not a celebrity rod but I'm pleased to have this one in my quiver. Link

·
Registered
506 Posts
talon rod

The Talon two handed now come in a faster Euro action The Carinton is discontinued. The new action is Midgar
I was considering one for my son who is moving back here this coming spring, but decided I will buy him a CND like mine instead.

Skilly

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just bought the Talon Midgar 13' 9/10. It is a really fast rod that I wanted for overhead casting heavy shooting heads. It will take the 725 grain 10/11 floating Guideline head and cast like a champion. That Midgar is so fast and strong that when I tried a regular Airflo 10/11 delta Spey line, I could not Spey cast with it for beans. So I got tired of trying and overhead cast with it. I shot the entire 120 feet of line, right into the backing. I had a type 3 sink tip on too. I now have about 30 hours on the rod and one 4.5 pound Dolly. As I back away from trying to power the rod into what I want it to do, I find the rod will do most of the work for me. Consistant 120 foot casts with almost faultless, tight loops with big, fat, hairy flies. This will be my goto rod for the beach here in Puget sound, if I'm not chasing Cutthroat.

Matt Burke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts