Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Gentleman, I am fairly new to the board this being my second post, However I do have a questions to pose. Have any one of you used Talon Spey rods, or rods built with Talon blanks. I Have the opportunity to purchase a 15' custom made Talon rated for 9/10 WT line for a great price. Also, how does warrantly come into play with a custom rod?? Any info would be appreciated.

Caper

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Don't have a Talon spey rod, but do have

a couple other of their rods. Very nice equipment, and great folks to work with. In one case they didn't have the 'exact rod' (a light blank 12' Canadian float rod) I wanted, so they built one for me! Now how many rod manufactures would do you a 'semi-custom rod?'

Now that was FAR beyond the normal call in "customer service."
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What???

What is Fred doing with a 12 foot Canadian float rod? I thought he was a spey fisherman? Is this a new aspect of character?

Seriously Fred, I hope you were able to use it to catch some steelies. Hope we get a chance to fish together some time.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'm looking forward to that too!

Usually will pull the 'float rod' out for 'during work hours' fishing during the summer. Hit Denmon Bar in street shoes and tie, slip the rod together and fling for 30 minutes. Being 'waderless' saves a lot of fooling around. The good news is I still run flys under the float.
:smokin:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re warranty

some companies warrant blanks, some don't. Some only warrant blanks if they are built by some custom rod makers that they are familiar with. If they do warrant them, they will only replace the blank. You still have to find someone to do the work on it. You will have to check with the rod company, and the customizer, to find out what the specifics are with this rod.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Talon blanks come in a variety of actions from really slow to a bit faster than medium. I would avoid the really slow ones (they call them spey blanks) and stick with the Euro (they call them fast Euro action). The so-called custom blanks sold by several well-known companies that sell rod making supplies are actually Talon blanks.

I've only seen one on a river, a 13 foot 9 weight traditional model. It was not a bad rod, although quite a bit slower than I like in a 2-hander. The blanks are warranteed by Talon for blank defects. Talon is also a company that was started by Gary Loomis right after he left Lamiglas. It was originally known as Loomis Composits, Inc. After Gary left to be the sole proprioter of rod company and started G. Loomis, Loomis Composits, Inc. produced a series of fast action rods and blanks known as the Talon series. This then became the companies name a few years later. They make a good product.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
I too, through contacts with Dwight at Talon, have heard that they will custom make a blank for you in some cases (which is pretty cool beans if you ask me).

I have two of their blanks built into rods. One Big River/Big Fish/ Chinook/big Steelhead drift rod and one Bar fishing rod. The Chinook driftrod is awesome. These blanks are incredibly durable. Some of the most durable blanks on the market for drift configurations. I have heard the rep has given various tackle store/fisherman rods to go out and try to break/over exert on fish. Everyone I have heard that has had this oppurtunity hasn't been able to break it. They're tough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts