Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my father gave me an old Hardy Perfect 3 1/2". The drag seemed tight so i tried twisting the nob on top, but the drag was unaffected in either direction. Then, i tried taking the screw out of the center of the reel to check out the guts of the reel for corrosion, etc. However, once i got the screw out i couldn't pull out the spool. I didn't want to push too hard and i thought I should check if anyone has any advice on what i should do.

How do you take this reel apart? And, once apart, what should I be looking for to fix the drag?

Thanks!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Just spin the spool counter clockwise at it is also threaded onto the frame. Should just spin right out.

The springs cold be dead but also know these reels do not have much in the way of drag to begin with. You could possibly get a replacement spring from someone like Bill Archuleta.

-sean

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hold the reel in your left hand with the fingers gripping the spool to stop it turning, then as Sean says turn the winding plate anti clockwise, if it has been left togeter it might need a tap with the ball of your hand to break the seal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Other Tips

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get back home and try unscrewing it.

The problem isn't that the reel has too little drag, but that it has too much. Frankly, i'd rather play a fish with no drag and palm it than have too much drag.

So, do you guys have any suggestions on what i should be looking for to reduce the drag? Should I lube up the inside with some reel oil? If so, were should i apply it?

Thanks again. I'd rather be fishing, but playing with gear is second best ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Perfect

I'd open it up, clean it and lube it. As you face the drag knob, turning it clockwise gives less drag. If drag is still too heavy after cleaning and lube, I'd send it to Bill Archuleta in Oregon, who can definitely fix it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Hardy Perfect 3 1/2 normaly has one pawl, but depending upon the year could have two in which case if it does simply deactivate the one furthest from the adjustable drag screw by turning it on its side. My guess is that A) the bearings are corroded or dirty and or B) the model was equiped without bearings. Chances are once you open it up the problem will be an easy fix. Contact Bill Archuleta @ 541-956-1691 if you have problems and he can walk you through the problem or fix it himself.
Great Reel, even better sound!:hihi:

·
Registered
314 Posts
One last comment, strip off the line and backing, then spray the heck out of the reel with WD 40 or soak in lite oil, or solvent for a day or two. Do not tap the reel with a hammer for it is casted aluminum and could crack the frame or center shaft.:eek:
Good luck.

Chas

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Warning -- WD-40 is not good for reels with a leaded finish.

I would also echo cleaning it out. Sometimes if they have sat for years, the oil sets up. I had one that when I got it had oil the consistency of axel grease. It wasn't too bad at room temp but get it out at 35 degrees and it was like you had a disc drag cranked down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Stuff

Sinktip, you might have a point there. I don't think this reel has been opened up for a long time and the drag was worse yesterday when i was fishing in the snow. I'll be sure to post what i find when i open it later tonight.

Thanks again, guys.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Lubricant

Other than as a fish attractant I think WD40 is a pretty poor in general. The organic components which make it a good attractant are the culprits. Organic components may lubricate at irst but they soon go rancid and start growing. Ever notice that a device well lubricated one day needs cleaning the next for no reason? Better to use a pure silicone or teflon like Tri Flo.

After giving the bearing a good dose of silicone I have been using Loons Reel Lube

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks -- It Worked!

Well, the old hardy came apart just as you said it would and there were two springs and bearings inside. Much of the grease was thick and solid in some places. I cleaned off everything with a cloth, put some Tri-Flo silicon spray in the bearings, lightly greased the clickers and put her back together. She now works great.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Now, if i could only get the reel to sing while i'm on the river ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts