Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my Speycasting has improved (thank God!), my ability to aerilize a loop and create a good amount of line speed has jumped up but I have been plagued with a God-awful tailing loop.

I have noticed that the tailing loop occurs most often when I am employing sinktips or even this evening when I was fishing a poly leader off a dry line.

Anyways...the tailing loop was so frustrating because I would have a nice loop sailing way out over the water with a ton of line speed when the top of my loop (the sinktip) would crash and/or tail and grab the bottom end up my loop making it very difficult to fish out a cast.

I compensated for this by throwing open my loop ASAP...as soon as I would let the line go, I would drop my rod tip to open my loop...sometimes it worked and other times the tailing loop was so bad, it would still manage to grab the bottom end of my loop.

How, I dont know, but today, I started mainting friction on my shooting line with my under hand (using my fingers) as I would complete the cast. My loop suddenly was much tighter then usual and by mainting a small amount of tension on the running line during the shoot, my loop rarely rarely tailed and I in turn, created more line speed.

Now, tailing loops are caused by various faults in the cast which cause the rod to in general, do one thing...but anyways...I always thought my tailing loop was caused by hitting the rod too hard, too soon (which is typical cause of tailing loops with a single hander) BUT, I believe the cause of my tailing loop may have been something totally differnt.

One one shoots line with a single hander, they usually just haul and let the line go and everything turns out okay. So, when I was shooting line with a Speycast I did the same thing...just let the line go. But for some reason, my line speed was dying before the loop ever had the chance to turn over, hence the sinktip crashing down BUT when I maintained tension with the shooting line, I was given much more loop control and when I felt I needed to open my loop, I would halt the shooting line, the loop would open up and the cast would finish out very nicely.

Any thoughts?????...am I totally out in left field or do you seem some basis to my theory??...and/or do I just need to slow down and let the rod do the work??? :hehe:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Just as you said, there are many ways to cause a tailing loop but I had a similar experience with sinking leaders on the end of a long belly floater and attributed it to my tendency to set the anchor the same way with one of these leaders as a mono leader. No can do - once I started to set the anchor back further and more with the (dark) leader than the (light) end of the line things worked out great.

The other thing that cleaned it up real nice was to make sure the anchor is not pulled in too close to the body. When it's "tucked" close and you overcome the relative lack of tension in the d-loop with a decent stroke the leader (especially a weighted leader) tends to fall on itself.

Sweep to the rod side and make sure there is ample tension in the d-loop outward as well as backward. The backward energy in the d-loop should work against the contrifugal force wanting to pull the bottom of the d-loop out and away from you but it can't because the wedge in the dloop is stronger and holds the whole thing under tension.

This creates a shape that if you looked down at the dloop it would still resemble a dloop. If you look from the side, it looks like one too. The dloop is effectively canted with the anchor away.

This tension increases the load in the rod and puts significant energy into the forward cast, keeping things more under control.

Then after all that push the rod tip forward a little further and it should take that tail right out.

Good luck with it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts