Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had made a post a month or so ago about problems I had with a Winston DBF and a GrandSpey line and I wanted to post an update and thank you.

The short of it is that I've somewhat cured my problems and was able to fish well enough in Gaspe, QC (York, St. Jean, and Cascapedia Rivers) to hook 5 and land 2 for the week with numerous plucks, pulls, and odd yanks to make it interesting. I even had one strange fish who would rather jump over the fly than take it (twice, and I have witnesses!).

By fishing my 14' Sage and a MidSpey most of the time I was able to get the feel of the rod loading properly on the back cast. Once I got the feel of that I was immediately able to start sending more line out over the water cleanly. When needed I used the larger rod and line effectively.

Now that I'm home and practicing a little more I can really feel that when the rod is not loading on the back cast, such as when and the grip either dies in the water or skips off it, the forward cast is inconsistent.

One little tip that's helped, concentrate on stopping the rod on the back cast and let it unload. That Winston is so powerful that if I don't stop it first and then drift back it'll cast me instead of the other way around. I also don't have to "heave" that long line off the water, the rod unloading will do most of the work for me and keep that grip "buzzing" in the water with a sharply formed D loop.

I'm now switch casting almost the whole GrandSpey head (where the two colors meet) and shooting to about 110' cleanly and working on more. After I get a little more consistent I'll start turning that switch with a little more angle.

Thanks again to all, great advice.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Glad to hear that you have gotten the "bugs out" or your casting. Soon you will be casting 130 ft of the GrandSpey because you have learned how to make a powerful but smooth casting stroke.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts