Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am going to be fishing the Spey in August for a week- I have never fished for salmon before- Does anyone have any advice for lines and flies??

Cheers, Simon

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well it really depends on water level, last year the Spey never rose above summer level fron June till the last week of the season, this year on the otherhand the water has been high most of the year. Low water you will get away with a single handed rod but if the water is up a 16ft double hander may be too small.

Which beat are you fishing?

http://www.sepa.org.uk/riverlevels/data.htm is a useful site as you can watch the water levels.

To hedge my bets, I would pack a 15ft rod, with a line with tips. I would take 15 and 10lb nylon with a selection of flies including Ali shrimps, Casscades, if you must, a Willie Gunn of course.

I fish the Spey most weeks if not most days so PM me if you need more specific advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks

Hi There , thanks a lot for that- Just the info I was looking for..

I have a fifteen footer and a ten foot reservoir trout rod, so I will invest in the Loop quattro line that Dana recommended ( cheers Dana ) and get the selection of flies and tippet material..

I think it is the Carron beat ( I know that is where my friend fished last time) but I could be entirely wrong- Someone just said 'Want to come salmon fishing on the Spey?? and I said 'YES'..

A silly question, but is the river being above summer level a good thing or bad??

·
Registered
886 Posts
River being above summer level is usually good as it encourages the fish to run.
Carron is a beautiful beat, I had 4 fish off it in 1 day a couple of weeks ago, all around Millionaires corner. I'm there again on Tuesday. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I caught my first ever grilse on Tuesday morning, unfortunately it was the only fish landed by us five rods in a week, but conditions were highly variable to say the least with a flash flood and a lot of coloured water. I lost another fish at the net on Monday night and two more during the week, but it was a gorgeous place to fish and a great ghillie- we have taken the same week for next year.

Thanks to Willie for all the advice..

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm glad I was able to help, but disappointed you were not lucky with the weather conditions. I heard the water levels of last week described as "going up and down like a brides nightie"

Congratulations on your first (of many I hope) scottish salmon.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Andre,
The new reel is fine, although it has yet to go to Hardys to be modified. Had a day on the Spey today, it was rising all day, rose 2ft by the evening. Started with a floater moved to a type 3 tip then a full intermediate, still no fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts