Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 7wt Tactical steelhead on sale, Just wanted to see what tips you guys like to use on this line. I want to give it a go on my next trip. I see it's very similar to the rage head.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought a 7wt (520gr) tactical steelhead a few years ago that i still use from time to time. Pretty versatile line that I like a lot.

I have used airflo sinking poly leaders off the end with the floating tip on, and in place of the floating tip I use some tips from an 8wt rio versitip single hand line that are cut to 12' and weight 85gr, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't sure if the Polys wound wrk in place of or in conjunction with the 8 ft floater. Ill give them a go.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just keep the tips kinda light and almost everything will work. 90-130gr. I think its one of the best floaters around. A real shame they ccanceled it so quickly and replaced it with a line like the Rage.

I use my TS mostly with it's floating tip, but do like it with the Vision clear intermediate tip and the sink3. For heavier tips I go to a skagit head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked up a 7wt Tactical steelhead on sale, Just wanted to see what tips you guys like to use on this line. I want to give it a go on my next trip. I see it's very similar to the rage head.
I have used the Tactical Steelhead ST8 with the Airflo 10' flo tips and it works great. Out of curiosity where did you find the ST-7? I have been looking for one of those and would love to pick one up also if they have any left.

·
Registered
869 Posts
i would have to disagree with the thought that's it's similar to the rage. the taper is totally different that the rage anyway. the tactical's taper is much more gradual than the rage. they work with about the same size tips (float tip removed from tactical) but that's the only similarity. probably closer to the old NW skagit than the rage.

with the float tip on you can use anything from a mono leader to about any poly leader. with the float tip removed- polys through about 10-12' of t-10. depending on the line size of the head, you may be able to do more. heavier weight heads will turn bigger tips.

i like these lines a lot and was sad to see them go. with a smooth stroke they hold their loop longer than the steeper tapered lines and are great on long casts.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Tactical Steelhead

I bought one of these a few years back, but sadly, did not label it when I took it off the reel. Now I have so many lines that I am not sure what it looks like. Any suggestions as to how to ID it? What color is it, for instance?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Dom
3,126 Posts
Green line with ridged texture removable tip.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I bought one of these a few years back, but sadly, did not label it when I took it off the reel. Now I have so many lines that I am not sure what it looks like. Any suggestions as to how to ID it? What color is it, for instance?

Thanks,

Jim
Not familiar with these lines - but look into them at The Fly Fishing Shop. Looks like they are the same mint green and not color-coded but the grains are listed. Maybe you have a scale.

If they are anything like the NW Skagit Head as mentioned- those Im familiar with. Interestingly, NW Skagit heads will cast quite well when looped in-reverse or with the black-end forward. A lot of guys casting those heads where reversing them and according to some they would throw heavier tips.

Maybe something to look into for those who have these...

·
Registered
670 Posts
i would have to disagree with the thought that's it's similar to the rage. the taper is totally different that the rage anyway. the tactical's taper is much more gradual than the rage. they work with about the same size tips (float tip removed from tactical) but that's the only similarity. probably closer to the old NW skagit than the rage.

with the float tip on you can use anything from a mono leader to about any poly leader. with the float tip removed- polys through about 10-12' of t-10. depending on the line size of the head, you may be able to do more. heavier weight heads will turn bigger tips.

i like these lines a lot and was sad to see them go. with a smooth stroke they hold their loop longer than the steeper tapered lines and are great on long casts.
I totally agree with you. The tactical steelhead line has very little in common with the Rage. The TS was a great line at a nice price point. I will be very sad if mine break some day. Great all round floater and a good line with a intermediate tip.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
The tactical steel is very different from rage. The TS is essentially a delta shooting head cut back for tips. I have #5, 6 & 7 and to be honest they are so versatile and fun to cast I rarely use anything else, I will only go to a Skagit if the flows are incredibly heavy and waters merkie and in need of a 3-4in. Intruder. Even with the #5 @ 390 grains I use airflo replacement tips 77 grains @13' inter. , type 3, type 6 and up to 6-8 ft. Of t-8 and this line turns them over beautifully with the characteristics of a mid-belly Spey line. The #7 turns over some pretty gnarly junk and heavier tips in the 85-120 grain range, I'm able to fish this one line all year round, even January steelhead. If you practice a lot with mid-belly type tapers, there's not much this line can't do.

I have to say I'm very disappointed airflo discontinued this so quickly, IMHO it was the best multi-tip line made. My theory is that when this line was in production it was right around the time Skagit, scandi and other skandit-like head technology reached full maturity, so the market, at the time, was more focused on the new line technology leaving the TS sadly in the dust :(

There is talk floating around that Wulff will be coming out with a head design based on the tactical steelhead tapers, I sure hope they do, or better yet airflo decides to bring this amazing line system back to market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts