Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Iceland, and was told i had to have my tackle disinfected and certified by a veterinary surgeon. Can anyone recommend a vet in Portland, Oregon?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
396 Posts
veterinarians

The site WWW.IAFFV.Org may help-that is a group of veterinarians who flyfish and there likely are members in your area who would be interested in helping. I would be interested but there are 3000 miles between us.

RWK said:
Going to Iceland, and was told i had to have my tackle disinfected and certified by a veterinary surgeon. Can anyone recommend a vet in Portland, Oregon?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone taking fishing tackle to Iceland must have it disinfected. Much better to have it done before you go. Be warned that most vets don't know what to do. I can't help with where to do this in Oregon! Readers in the UK might like to know that Tackle Disinfection Services are authorised to disinfect and issue a Disinfection Certificate for travel to Iceland. Check out www.tackledisinfection.com

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
This is one of the most 'unusual' threads I've seen on the SpeyPages.

Fascinating stuff! The 'odds' of me ending up in Iceland are slim and none, but I do post to several Boards located in the US and the UK.

First I've heard of this; An 'invasive specie' sort of thing?

fae

·
Registered
298 Posts
Fascinating stuff! The 'odds' of me ending up in Iceland are slim and none, but I do post to several Boards located in the US and the UK.

First I've heard of this; An 'invasive specie' sort of thing?

fae
The battle is getting harder. It's not just wading boots, it's all equipment that could be a vehicle for transporting invasive species. Didymo in CT and zebra mussels elsewhere..

:(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Total Friggin' Scam...but...

Had to do it a couple times and all she did was wipe down my rods with a simple detergent and then figured out how much to charge me. (with some giggles). N.B. She had to give me her payment slip in order for me to get out to the boarding gate.

You basically need just a 'piece of paper' to show to get to the plane.

If you have Korkers, insert in a new set of soles and call it a day...and a safe one for Iceland too.

Interesting place...there is a willing and beautiful maiden behind every tree....problem is finding a tree!

8 )

·
Registered
748 Posts
Iceland has been requiring and doing this since the early 1970s, it was not done for invasive species but rather disease. Some rivers in Scotland and Norway had diseases and the authorities were afraid it would get to Iceland. The salmon fishing was a big income producer for the country at that time with lots of foreigners fishing the rivers so they took very conservative measures. Chance of disease transmitting via fishing equipment small but they did not want to risk it, its a good thingto do to date with some of the invasive species. If you can not find a vet to do it here in the states they will do it at the airport in Keflavik just have to wait (as well as pay) while they dunk your equipment in a solution, any new equipment is not necessary to be treated.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
This I can believe.

"The salmon fishing was a big income producer for the country at that time with lots of foreigners fishing the rivers so they took very conservative measures."

With a population of around 400,000 they, as are several other Countries, in deep do-do* financially. Don't mean that disrespectfully but there just aren't enough of them around/industry/etc., to fund a Country.

If you're looking a Atlantic Salmon trip 'out of country,' they may well be a very good choice.

fae

* A worse case example is Greese. By 2013 the estimate of their National Debt will be 160% of the Counties GNP. But not to worry, the United States Federal Governments current outstanding debt is (as I type!) only 100% of this Entire Counties GNP. Toss in State and Local debt of one kind or another and God only knows were we're really at. Did anyone like the 'Budget Spectacle" we were treated to last week? All that over just 1% of the budget, much of what (tax revenues) was total 'Blue Sky.'

So endeth the Lesson.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don't think Iceland is in as big a mess as the US, each US citizen owes four times more toward our national debt than the Icelanders owe toward their banking debt. Iceland can't keep printing money like we do here.

"If you're looking a Atlantic Salmon trip 'out of country,' they may well be a very good choice." - Its a great choice if you want to spend $1000 a day or more for salmon fishing, the banking crisis has not impacted fishing prices that much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.