Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that T&T revamped thier horizon rods I was curious if anyone has heard plans to update the graphite on the double handers as well. I am under the impression the double handers used the original horizon graphite so I thought there may be some new rods in the works. Not that they need updating...just curious.

0sean

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sean,

Don't know if there was a change in the graphite used in the 2-handers or if there are some new rods in the works; but I will be able to find out at the Bellevue Show when I get to see the T&T rep for the area, whom I know, and ask him.

·
loco alto!
3,051 Posts
I'm a big fan of T&T rods - I have 4, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 9 & 10 wts - far more than any other maker. The original HS graphite/resin combination has a smoothness and recovery that I find to be simply awesome.

My question is whether the revamped Horizons are actually an improvement over the originals. The sense I get from their promo materials is that the new graphite layup increases durability. Typically, durability vs. performance represents a tradeoff. I didn't much care for the newer Helix blanks due to their slower recovery (the Paradigm had soft action, but extremely fast recovery - a superb soft action rod). I sincerely hope that unconditional warrantees aren't driving makers into more durable products at the expense of high end performance.

all my speculation doesn't mean diddly. Who can comment on the new generation of T&T Horizons?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
I spoke with T&T a little bit today but my contact there didn't have any definite answers yet. The person I need to talk to is out of town until next week. I will give a report as soon as I get one.

sinktip

·
loco alto!
3,051 Posts
next time you call nudge Lon for a 14' #7 ...

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Ok here is the word from the horse's mouth. I spoke at length today with Tom Dorsey about potential changes to the double-handed rods and if the new BAFT technology would be used. The short answer is it already has been. T&T pioneered the BAFT layup in their double handed rods starting 4-5 years ago. This was done without any fanfare or marketing hype. Based on the success of the system in the double-handers, the BAFT layup was recently incorporated into some of their single handed lines.

So if you were like me and were worrying they were going to change the action of the two handed rods, rest assured it won't happen.

Now Tom did drop some tantalizing hints about tweaking specific models down the road but nothing is set in stone.

Hope this helps.
sinktip

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Does this mean the 1509 may get "tweaked" so its mid-section is stiffened up? Or does it mean there may be a new rod or two in the works, like a 17' one? Hmmm....Tantalizing indeed.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
FT,

He didn't go into a lot of specifics as you can imagine.

'tip

·
Registered
869 Posts
sink tip, that is exactly what they said to me. so either it's entirely true or at least they corraboratted their stories. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts