Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fish my Marquis #2 on my T&T1309, the reel will go on, but just barely. Anybody else fishing this or a similar combo. Almost doesn't look safe to me.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
That is one of the prices you pay for fishing a classic. It seems the rodmakers, some of the very best spey rod makers in the world are using petite namby pamby reel seats these days. Make sure the lock nut is TIGHT and keep it tight. After a time you will swage that reel foot in a little farther and your fears will be somewhat eased, although your aesthetic sensibilities may not be. Or you can send it to Archuleta and let him give your reel foot the slimfast plan.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
MJC said:
Or you can send it to Archuleta and let him give your reel foot the slimfast plan.
For a salmon #2? One word... DREMEL :hihi:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, it fits in there, it just doesn't look right. I considered that brass being softer than aluminum, after time it would be easier. I pushed and pulled on it, and it doesn't seem to wiggle or loosen, but like I said, it just doesn't look safe. I have this horrible picture in my head of fowling a big king in the back and he decides he's had enough and starts heading back to Lake MI, and the thing pops off :Eyecrazy: . I'd say I have 1/8th in. coverage on each side.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
I'd say I have 1/8th in. coverage on each side.
You should be fine. Like Mike said, make sure you have it cinched down tight and counter locked with the locking ring.

I'm surprised that the 1309 seat doesn't fit that Marquis fine. I had a 50's 4 1/4 Perfect with the ribbed brass foot and it fit both my 1509 and my 1510-5 with lots of room to spare. I'm fairly confident that the 1309 has the same seat. Now the smaller seat that T&T uses on their 1307-3, 1206-3, etc. is finicky when it comes to older feet. Some Hardy's (post-war feet) fit on them and some don't. On one of mine, the foot was too wide for the seat even though it fit the bigger sticks fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Reel feet

I had a Salmon #3 and Salmon #2 that were identical, except the reel foot on the #2 was taller than any other Hardy foot I've seen. It wouldn't fit on any of my rods. By taller I mean the metal was thicker. It wasn't longer and wasn't wider -- just thicker. I put some fine sandpaper on a spey rod handle that was the correct diameter to meet the reel foot and had a friend hold the rod and paper together. Then I carefully worked the reel back and forth on the sandpaper and removed metal until it fit. The part where I sanded turned out a beautiful polished surface that has now since corroded to match the rest of the foot. Worked like a charm. FWIW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts