Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The T+T come only with a single line weight designation. Most others come with a two or three line rating. I'm curious as to whether there is an opinion about the T+T line rating representing the higher or lower line ? In other words is the 14' 9 weight a 9/10 or an 8/9 ? Or is this an inappropriate comparison ?

Gillie

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Gillie,

A fair question and one which might get yield some variance in answers. I would say, based on my experience that the line rating is true. In my opinion, my 1307 is certainly neither a six or an eight. My 10150-5 is a true ten weight. The one that might be fuzzy is the 1509-3 as I would rate it closer to an 8 1/2. I have have also cast the 1409 and believe it to be a solid 9.

sinktip

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Like Sinktip, I have found the line rating on T&T to be true (with the exception of the 1509, which he also mentioned). Unlike most other rod makers, T&T puts the line designation on the rod that works best with it, just like most makers do with single hand rods. Thus, to match T&T to lines, use the top line designation of those lines with two lines sizes on them (i.e., 1409 uses an 8/9, 1308 uses a 7/8, 1611 uses a 10/11, etc.), and for the Windcutter with is three line sizes on it, use the middle line number to match the T&T rod (i.e., 1409 uses 8/9/10 windcutter, 1510 uses 9/10/11 windcutter, etc.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
T&T line weights

I'd check the Rio website for line recommendations for the T&T's. Simon works for Rio, prepared the recommendations and is on the pro staff of T&T especially for his expertise in spey rods.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I don't beleive that Simon is still affiliated with T&T but I agree, his line recs. are a good place to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts