Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just got my hands on the T&T 1611-3. Just wondering if anyone has any input on what lines to throw with it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Ryan :confused:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,474 Posts
If your interested in long bellied lines for it, do a search and you will find some input from Flytyer.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Ryan,

I have owned this rod since 1997 and think very highly of it. I have been using the new 1100 gr 95' belly 10/11 GS since fall when they became available. I cut my line 15' from the tip and put loops on it for sink tip use. I also like the rod with the 9/10 XLT eventhough it is a little light when casting under 70' (the new 10/11 XLT ought to be good on it when it becomes available).

I have used the RIO MidSpey 10/11 cut at 15' with the RIO 8/9/10 Upgrade added in the past prior to the long belly lines becoming available. This produced a line with an 80' belly. A long Delta 10/11 with the RIO 8/10/10 Upgrade added or 30' of level 10wt added produces something very similar.

There are some other lines on the market with bellies of 85' or more and weights of around 1000 grs or a little more that also cast well on the rod.

As you can see, I like and exclusively use long belly lines (or have made mid-belly lines into long belly ones) on my 1611. I'd never even consider using anything with a belly shorter than 75' on it because of it length and power.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Flytyer, That is exactaly what I was hoping to hear. I already have the 10/11 GS ready and waiting. Have you casted it with the full GS line? My plan was to use that with waited flies. Anyway thanks for the response.
Ryan

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Ryan,

If you use the 10/11 GS make sure it is the new 1100 gr one and not the old 1500 gr one. The old one badly overloaded the rod on casts over 70', but the new is terrific with or without sink tips out to as far as you'll ever want to cast when fishing.

Yes, I've cast the new 10/11 GS with sink tips and large 1/0 and 2/0 flies 120'. Just remember to keep around 8'-10' of backtaper in the rod guides in order to properly energize the belly for the long casts with sink tips. The easy way to do this is by keeping the color change at the first ferrule above the grip. I use 10 wt sink tips on mine because I find they work better than 11 wt ones.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flytyer-the GS that I have is the new one. I had a chance to cast it on the new loomis 17' greased line and really liked it. I hope the T&T will give me the same feel. Well thanks for all the info any other tips would be appreciated.
Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts