Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Have a question for the experts. I have a opportunity to get my hands on the T&T DH1510-5. I am just wondering if anyone has any river time with this rod. I am located in Michigan and plan to use the rod for walk in trips. I just wondering if anyone has any line recomendations. Also wondering if anyone has thrown heavy tips (type 8, 300gr BB) with it and how it felt. And any overall comments on the rod. I have the DH1409-3 and really love every thing about it.
Thanks for all your help.
Mulder

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Deegan,

This is one of my favorite rod (I own the 3-piece version of it) and I fish it quite a bit on mid-sized to large rivers rivers for summer steelhead with an 8/9 GrandSpey. It will fish and cast well with any short or mid-belly 9/10 line (50 to 75 ft belly). I use type 3,6,and 8 RIO 15 ft 9 wt sink tips on mine with the 8/9 GS. With the 9/10 mid-belly or 9/10 Accelerator (no longer made but the SA Mastery Spey 9/10 is close) I used 10 wt sink tips in type 3,6,8 and 12 1/2 ft of 500 gr Deep Water Express.

Keep in mind that T&T rates its rods for the highest number of the now common 2 line size designation on spey lines. Therefore, the 1510 is equivalent to what other rod makers call a 9/10 rod.

The 1510 is a fast, progressive rod with an action very similar to your 1409, only for one line size larger. If you want to toss 300 gr tips on it, use either a short belly line or a mid-belly (RIO MidSpey works well because you can simply take out tip 2 and add 300 gr tips to it) that is cut back between 20 and 22 feet.

I find the 1510 is a great compliment to my T&T 1611 and GLX 13' 8/9. I'm sure you would find it to be a very nice compliment to your 1409.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks flytyer

Hey thanks flytyer,
You have been very helpful. I also plan to own the 1611. I really like the action and feel of the T&T's. Any other helpful hints you can think of let me know.
Thanks again,
Mulder

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Deegan,

As you can see, I too like the T&T's. The 1611 is my big rod of choice and I fish it from mid-November through the end of April first for chums and then for winter steelhead. I also use it on those infrequent jaunts for kings. I also have to say that the 1409 is my favorite 14 ft 9 (or 8/9) wt. Meiser is making some rods that I really like too that are nice and fast with a very smooth action.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Heavy tips with a T&T 10-wt

Mulder-
Last year I fished two weeks in high water using a T&T 1409 with a BigBoy 24-ft 400 grain tip. Using a MidSpey 8/9 line with tips 1 & 2 removed, plus the 400-gr BB is an effective combination.

With the 10-wt, it will be cake.

With the T&T1611, the BigBoy 500-grain casts effectively combined with a MidSpey10/11, with tips 1 and 2 removed. The 16-ft rod is long and authoritative and a roll cast is absolutely not needed prior to executing a snap-T with the above setup.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts