Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advice please as to which xlt or grand spey, or whatever line to match this rod. i have T&T DH1509-5 which takes xlt 7/8 well and carron jetstream 10/11. i am taking these 2 in my luggage to varzuga in may for grilse. i have learnt from bitter experience to take a couple of 5 pieces in luggage so when they lose my KISS case with all my rods i'm not left high and dry!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Line

Really a sweet rod, reminds me of an Sage 9140 on Steroids. Saw the backing knott at my hands a couple of times using a Mastery Spey 8/9. Long Delta9/10. Have had the Grand Spey on it on grass and worked ok. How soon do you need to know about the other lines? Am going out Sunday to thrash the water some more will give you a report on the XLT and Grand Spey.
Leroy......................

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 1409 works with any line you would use on the 1509. However, are you sure it is the 1509-5 because I'm not aware of T&T making a 5 piece 1509?. The only 15 ft 5 piece that I am aware T&T makes is the 1510-5, which is a much more powerful and stronger rod than the 1409-5.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for help, no hurry, i'm sorting tackle out for may on varzuga but would like to try it out on helmsdale in april and tay in may. yes flytyer you are absolutely right its t&t dh1510-5, i think i've got sorted but 1409-5 i really need help, but any thoughts on 1510 gratefully received. thanks paul

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Paul,

The T&T 1510 is one of my favorite rods. I use a GrandSpey 8/9 on it for summer/fall steelhead on mid-to large-size rivers. This is a great combination, 95 ft belly, throws any 9 wt tip you wish, and feels light in the hand. If you want to use a heavier sink tip (10 wt) or shorter line I also really like the 1510 with any of the 9/10 mid-belly lines, the 9/10 XLT, and the short belly 9/10/11 Windcutter. It is a wonderful rod that could be used all year round with the right line and it will handle nearly any size fish you will every encounter (that is unless you are fishing where 50 pound fish are common).

Interestingly, yesterday at the Seattle Fly Fishing Show, I was talking to Trey Combs (he has been on T&T's rod evaluation pro staff for many years) and he asked me what I thought of the T&T 1510. I told him that I thought it was a wonderful 15 ft all-around rod for salmon/steelhead, and that the 5 piece version was just a little bit slower than the 3 piece. Trey agreed completely with me on this. I also know that Simon G. likes to fish with his 1510-5.

The 1409 is a great casting 14 ft 9 (or 8/9) wt rod. It likes the 8/9 mid-belly lines, the 7/8/9 or 8/9/10 Windcutter, 8/9 Delta, 7/8 GrandSpey, and 8/9 XLT. It also casts very well with any 9 wt sink tip. I know folks who have bought the 1409 simply because it is so enjoyable to cast. It has a lot more power than the 1509 because of the difference in mid-sections of the 1409 and 1509.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Paul: Be aware!

Hi Paul! (and all other flyfishermen bound to Kola this summer)
About your comment on airlines ability to loose us fishermens most valuable luggage (rodcase) and 4/5-piece rods as a cure for that.
Finnish national carrier Finnair has just announced, that they WON`T take flyrods to cabin any longer! And I think you will also use Finnair when flying to Kola? Summertime Helsinki - Murmansk route is full of happy salmonfishers, eh?
But seriously; I´m not 100% sure of this, so you better check it from your travelagent before May?!
FinnSpey

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
airlines and rods

thanks everybody for line suggestions. as to airlines and rods its not just where you change planes they get it wrong. last year i was fishing malsevfossen pool and friend came to join us from oslo to our local airport 'bardufoss'. check in in oslo sent rods to bergen [BER ] instead of bardufoss [ BAR ]. my varzuga trip with michael evans thru roxtons is a charter flight london gatwick direct to murmansk and then helicopter, plenty of room for cock-ups. two 5 piece rods in separate checked in bags gives best back up possible now rods banned from cabin as dangerous implement! crazy world!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lucky you!

Paul!
Good luck in May / Varzuga! Which time did you fish Malselvfossen last summer? I drove past in late June and took time to visit the Fossen. I was driving from Surna in Mid-Norway all the way up to Tana and Neiden -rivers.
Anyway, strategy with rods placed in two separate bags / rodcontainers is good idea - I, too, have lost a rod during direct domestic flight in Finland...
FinnSpey

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
malselvfossen

hi finnspey, very lucky me! i was there 19-24 july. i took ferry to france on 9th july, drove to orkla for 5 days, then on north. stopped 2 nights on namsen at overhalla, then on to malsevfossen. wonderful adventure but not so great fishing as usual due to heat and low water! i missed alta last year but its on for last week of july this year, sautso. my domestic situation is rather strained by my fishing wanderings so i may have to fly with all consequences we have been discussing! its tough but someone has to do it!! tell me about your tana experiences and which way did you drive home?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tana...

Hello Paul!
Yes, last July was "a bit" dry and warm in Norway... In late June I fished both Tana (three days, three salmon 75cm - 105 cm). River was low but still cool (water 14 degrees Celsius). River Neiden is a smaller river but with big fish in June. I caught - and killed, no choice this time - 7,7 kg salmon and lost two in just one days fishing time.
I live in Helsinki, so I drove home directly thru Finland.
I was back in Tana and Laxelva first week of August. Laxelva was in good condition (considering heatwawe), but five of us only managed three grilse. Tana was Ok also, due to hard rain and rise in water, but we were very unlucky; also just three grilse.
That was not much for five men and one weeks fishing...
FinnSpey

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alta

hey finnspey, my domestic situation is improving and i now have permission to spend a month in norway so i will drive again. orkla, namsen, malsevfossen pool, alta, stjordal. i am reluctant to retrace my route back down norwegian coast so i am thinking of route back thru finland and central sweden to stjordal {trondheim]. i have 2 days so not pushed! any ideas routewise? i am away from home so dont have a map but last year i came back narvik across sweden to lulea and down baltic coast so sweden no problem but finland i dont know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts