Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted an introduction yet, but I'd like to get some feed back on the T&T DH1307 for med. streams, med. flies, med. fish, & a novice caster. I'm a certified casting instructor, but have only had a couple opportunities to use a double handed rod. I have a chance to pick up one of these beasts @ a good price & would like to know if anyone thinks it might be able to teach me anything.
Good drifts,
Gene

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I had a chance to play with this at the spey clave. Liked it, though as always, rods (like beers) are a personal thing. I rarely turn either down. This rod wasn't as fast as I expected based on T&T reputation for rocket speys

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
But it is not a very big rod either. The 6 and 7 weight two-handers are not heavy at all. I view tham in the same fashion I view single-handers of 4 weight or smaller. Fine light duty rods. Like a 4 weight single-hander the 6 and 7 weight two-handers are light rods and are not made to trow a long distance unless you use a shooting head system. You wouldn't use a 4 weight single-hander to cast size 6 stonefly nymphs or sixe 6 streamers 60+ feet. Why expect a 7 weight two-hander to do the equivalent.

I fish nothing smaller than an 8 weight because I regularly cast in excess of 80 feet summer and winter in certain holes and runs. Also, I tend to be an aggressive caster and usually end up cusing tip bounce with the lighter rods unless I consciously tell myself to slow down and not put so much shoulder and arm into the cast. The 8weight and higher two-handers, with some very notable exceptions - which I also do not like) are usually faster and much stronger rods that suit my casting better. Which is why I use heavier rods than my wife who prefers a slower and lighter rod, they suit her better.

The 1307 is what it is, a fine light line two-hander, just like a 4 weight single-hander is a fine light line rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts