Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this rod? I have a chance to get one on sale from a guy who bought it for a trip to the Deschutes and never used it. Is it too short to be useful or does it make for a great switch rod? Zail

·
Registered
869 Posts
that rod is built as a two hander and for light work/small rivers it is very useful. you could cast it single handed but it has a full size bottom grip which will sometimes get in the way. if you have a use for it and it's a good deal it is one of the nicest small two handers i have cast.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
IMO, it is the nicest 13' 7 wt 2-hander on the market. It is not a switch rod, it is a true 2-hander. Of course, I'm also partial to the faster, stiffer rods like the T&T's.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Russ,

I think he was talking about the 1107 not the beloved 1307-3.

D.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
'Tip,

mea culpa! I'm so used to seeing questions about the 12' and longer T&T's, that I didn't read it closely and made a huge boo boo (as my 5 year old grandson says).

Zail,

The 1107 is a very different rod than the 1307, more in the vein of the 11' Winston, 11' Sages, or 11'6" GLX, and the Meiser switch rods. It is definetly of the "switch rod" variety, long enough to be spey cast with two hands, but short enough to be cast single hand. I really liked casting it with the salmon/steelhead single hand lines from RIO or SA.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I fish it here in MI for bass, carp, and winter steel. I use a 7/8/9WC with the middle out. Keep in mind our winter fishery is alot different than yours. Our waters get low and clear. The fish get very sluggish.

Great rod though, I would jump on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dry Line Summer Steelhead Rod for BC

Sounds like it would be nice for the smaller northern california/southern oregon rivers like the Trinity. I already own reels loaded with 7 and 8 wt RIO SAS lines so thats another plus for me. If I want to step up to a larger dedicated dry line summer steelhead rod in the 13' 7wt range for use in BC, what are the top contenders? Althought I don't own Spey rods, I primarily Spey cast and I would like a rod that is more like a sports car than a cadillac. Any suggestions?
Zail

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sports car 13' 7 wt, IMO hands down the 1307 T&T. Meiser could probably put something together for you that would be a sportscar 13' 7 wt too if you contact him and let him know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've tried this with a Scierra MWF 7/8 line for a 11' rod, but felt that I was having to use to much muscle. I use a similar line (8/9) (27 grams) on my DH1208-4 and the feeling was different. I weighed my 7/8 line and found it to be only 19 grams, but have since understood that Scierra have increased the line weight. Perhaps I should have tried the newer line that they sell.

The tip about the WCS I must remember.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts