Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone let me have a personal opinion about Thomas&Thomas DH1015-5.
I am thinking about buying one...

J

·
0 Posts
Like most of the T&T double-handed rods, this one is fast. In my opinion it overhead casts better than it spey casts. I'm not very good at Scandinavian underhand casting, but it seems like it would do that well, too. I need to overline it to get it to do more traditional type spey casts. Mine has been used a lot and I've never had a ferrule work loose and the ferrules appear to be solid yet (no spider cracking). At a little over twelve ounces it is a mid-weight rod, almost three ounces less than the Winston Derek Brown Favorite, which is also a five piece rod.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
T&T DH 1510-5

This has been one of Simon Gawsworth's favorite rods. If you cast like him, his comments would carry a lot of weight.

JD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for replies.
The thing is that I am staying in Iceland, but pretty often travel to Russia, and can combain my trips with salmon fishing. That is why I need a multipieces rod. And now I am choosing between ARS and T&T.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Caster2,

No simply because I bought a T&T 1611 (16 ft 11wt) 7 years ago for winter steelhead, chum salmon, and chinook salmon fishing. I wanted a rod with even more power and a bit more length than the T&T 1510, which is why I bought the T&T 1611. I use 11 wt RIO sink tips of type 3, type 6, type 8, and 11 1/2 ft of 700 Grain SA Deep Water Express on my 16 footer.

I have a very good friend who owns the T&T 1510-3 (3-piece version of the rod you mentioned) and he fishes 10 wt RIO sink tips of type 3, type 6, type 8, and 14 feet of RIO T-14 on his rod. I have cast his rod with all of these sink tips and I like it with all of them.

The T&T 1510 (whether 3- or 5-piece is a very nice, and very fine casting rod.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Yeah You betcha!

I have this rod and have sold several of them.
Good rod fast dampening and fairly forgiving.
As for lines I use 8/9 Grandspey , 9/10 Midspey and 11/12/13 Windcutter.
Floating and Sinktips the rod dose not care have cast a head of 15ft of t-14 hooked to a 8/9 Grandspey with the rod asking for more.
Hope to work some of the Heads systems on this coming winter.
This rod is a real powerhouse for working long lines or Short :plus you can put in your suitcase.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts