Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought T&T changed their wrap color on their 2 hander. I just got a new 1107 and see it still has the green and red.

·
Registered
133 Posts
line for 1107

Jamey, I just now start to "play" with twohanders, and I have the same rod - T&T 1107, which I plan to use for some trout applications. What line do you use on your rod? Would the SC short spey 7/8 fit to it?
thanks,
Peter

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what line you are refering to. I cobbled together a line that utilized my 9wt Rio tips, came in at about 425grains @45ft. I worked great, it just seemed like it could have a bit more positive of a turn over. I ordered a Rio WC 7/8/9 body, a set of the 7/8/9 skagit cheaters, and a set of 15ft 8wt tips. With the 5ft cheater section in the line comes in at about 430grains or so, at 45ft. That combo also moves about 20 grains out of the tip and into the body, hopefully producing a bit better turnover at the tip. Great rod though, kind of weird doing snakes with that little rod and short line.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks J,

a sweet rod...
The line is an SA(not SC, sorry) Spey Short Head line.
Anyway, thanks for your detailed info, I 'll do my experiments...
P

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I went to a line that length (52ft I believe?) I think 450grains would be the max. Sorry I don't know what they weigh in at, but I think its close. Thats just my opinion. At the clave in April here in MI I plan to try some different lines on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
skeg said:
Jamey, I just now start to "play" with twohanders, and I have the same rod - T&T 1107, which I plan to use for some trout applications. What line do you use on your rod? Would the SC short spey 7/8 fit to it?
thanks,
Peter
Skeg, For what it is worth I think the SA short head 7/8 would be a bit much for that rod. THe 7/8 comes in at 550 grains plus 81 for the rear taper for a total of 631. Allthough I don't own the 1107 I use this line on the 1208 and it is a perfect match. The 1208 is a fairly fast rod. The 6/7 short head comes in at a total of519 grns. and prob. would be a better fit for that rod. Fly tier could prob. give you a better opinion than I given the big T&T fan that he is.
hope this helps,Ramsay

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 1107 T&T is really not a "spey rod". It is a switch rod that can be used single-hand or 2-hand and as such it works best with a salmon/steelhead taper 7 or 8 wt line depending on whether you want to slow it down a little or not. Even the 6/7 SA Short will overload it.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flytyer said:
Even the 6/7 SA Short will overload it.

What does the shorthead 6/7 come in at weight wise? I guess it would depend on what your idea of "overloaded" would be.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 6/7 SA Short has a belly weight of 450 grs. And an overloaded rod is an overloaded rod, which means it is being asked to cast more weight than optimum for the rod. It doesn't mean it can't cast the extra weight, it just means that the extra weight will slow the rod down, opens up the loop, changes how the rod responds when casting, and provides more time to set up a water-loaded cast. Overloading the rod also means casting motions need to slow down a bit.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flytyer said:
And an overloaded rod is an overloaded rod, which means it is being asked to cast more weight than optimum for the rod. It doesn't mean it can't cast the extra weight, it just means that the extra weight will slow the rod down, opens up the loop, changes how the rod responds when casting, and provides more time to set up a water-loaded cast. Overloading the rod also means casting motions need to slow down a bit.

I am familiar with the definition of an overloaded rod, what I was getting at is that there is some personal preference involved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Muckle,

Thanks, I have the 1208, also, and I purchased the 7/8 for that rod.I'm sure I have to hone my skills, but at the first time I felt that the rod could handle a 8/9 easily.

Flytier, I tried the 1107 with a Teeny Lefty Kreh 8 line (a simple wf floating, with a bit beefy head), and worked ok, but I felt it was a but too much for the rod. So I would test some long belly 7wt lines on it.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Skeg,

You found exactly what I had said earlier about the rod having been designed to cast a 7 wt steelhead/salmon line and that an 8 wt would work fine if you wanted to overload the rod a little bit and slow it down (or as you said, "felt it was too much for the rod"). Likewise, a SA Short Head 6/7 Spey Line would work OK if you were going to be using water-haul casting techniques. However, the 7 wt salmon/steelhead lines (or evern standard WF7 lines) have the rod casting with its nice crisp, fast action since the rod was designed for a 7 wt salmon/steelhead line.

·
Banned
974 Posts
flytyer said:
The 1107 T&T is really not a "spey rod". It is a switch rod that can be used single-hand or 2-hand and as such it works best with a salmon/steelhead taper 7 or 8 wt line depending on whether you want to slow it down a little or not. Even the 6/7 SA Short will overload it.
I have gone through a similar line search for my Winston 11' 7 wt., which I would classify as a switch rod as well. I have a Hardy I 8/9 line for the rod but a WC 5/6 might work as well. Those lines are in the 325 - 350 grain range. I found that the WC 6/7/8 overloaded the rod but a steelhead taper made me looking for me. Maybe the T&T has similar line characteristics?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Jamey, theres an interesting thread on the little brother to your rod [the 1206] that was started by sinktip 02/03/05. a search on "1206-3" will hit it.

interesting, looking at peoples preferences for light line rods. SG

·
Banned
974 Posts
shotgunner said:
Jamey, theres an interesting thread on the little brother to your rod [the 1206] that was started by sinktip 02/03/05. a search on "1206-3" will hit it.

intersting, looking at peoples preferances for light line rods. SG
The shorter "speys" work very well on the small - medium sized GL tribs.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
interesting, looking at peoples preferences for light line rods. SG
sorry, that should have read "interesting, looking at peoples line preferences for light rods."

david, i've had the pleasure of making a cast or two with smolts BIIx 1107. nice rods, no doubt. SG

·
Registered
133 Posts
I spent two days of my Eastern - holidays, on the Weisse Traun in Germany, and gave a test to the 1107.
While I don't have the steelhead taper yet (but I'm ordering one), I tried my only 7 wt line, a Sage performance taper on it.
The water level was a bit high- snow is melting-, the current very strong, and the fish is willing to fight.
We used streamers and nymphs on a floating line, but I attached occasionaly a mini sink tip to the head.
We caught browns, lake browns and rainbows in a 40-55 cm range, and I did not feel overgunned with the rod.

I found single and double handed OH casts effortless, but switch- and my versions of spey casts :rolleyes: ....
I felt, the water-hauled casts would be easier - for an unexperienced two hand caster like me-, if there is a feet more in my hands (I mean the rod is longer).
I cast fairly well single handed, and I used too much of my stronger hand (upper), I know.When I switched my hands so my right was down - the rod became alive.
I'm really thinking about a sage 12' 5wt...or the 12,6' 6wt... :roll:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks D,

I've checked Simon's recommendations a few days ago... ;)
NOW I'm confused.
I must have the WC, too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts