Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I'm now definitely getting a 15' 10wt, either T&T or Loomis (thank you for your input flytyer, Norwegian, and mjyp)

I now have a few more questions, and would appreciate any feedback.

Is the Loomis somewhat more powerful than the T&T? (I noticed that flytyer recommends a bit heavier line for the Loomis) Is there a substantial difference in the way these rods feel to you in actual fishing?

Is the 5pc version of the T&T just as good as the 3pc version?

Which reel do you use to balance the T&T (5pc version) and Loomis? Any inexpensive options, say, $300 or less?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either rod. I have the GLX 15'10wt. and the T&T 15' 9wt. and the actions are similar, with the Loomis maybe a bit faster. The truth is I wanted a GLX 15' 9wt. but they (Loomis) don't make them, but the T&T is supurb. I just tried out the Loop Green 14'9wt. thanks to Aaron at River Run Anglers Spey Shop and found they compared favorably in both action and quality to the GLX and T&T at reduced cost, not to mention an extra tip! John

Aaron also handles T&T

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The G.Loomis GLX 15 ft 10/11 is comparable to the T&T 1511 (15 ft 11 weight). This is why I recommended a 9/10 line for the T&T 1510 and the 10/11 for the G. Loomis GLX 15 ft 10/11. They are both superb rods, which I like a lot. I find it very hard to decide between the GLX and the T&T if they are the same length and line weight.

The GLX is a bit faster than the T&T, which is why I have the GLX 13 ft 8/9 weight instead of the T&T 1309. However, I own the T&T 1611 instead of the GLX 15 ft 10/11 for two reasons: 1) the T&T 1611 is 12 inches longer meaning it has the ability to pick up a long line easier than the Loomis 15 ft 10/11; and 2) the T&T is a little bit (a very little bit) slower than the GLX and this helps keep me from breaking tippets when fighting fish on the big stick.

There are several reels under $300.00 that would work with either the T&T 1510 or Loomis GLX 15 ft 10/11. The key is getting a reel that is rated for a 12 weight or larger saltwater line and 350 or more yards of backing, Orvis, Tioga, Redington, Teton, Hardy come to mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts