Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for information about the differences between these two rods. Do they cast much differently? Is there a noticeable difference in the casting stroke or the action of these rods when using the same line--especially the long bellied lines like the GS?
It seems there are not many 15' /9wt rods on the market and even fewer that are of the "faster" action.

D

·
0 Posts
T&T 1409

Just trying to start a bit of chat, and lend any info i can. I have never touched the tnt 1509 but I have the 1409. I have a windcutter 10/11/12 on it and I use it to throw some pretty heavy tips.(type 8 w/density comp and 300 gr.) And let me tell you it is a rocket ship. :whoa: If you are planing on throwing heavy tips let me tell you, This rod will do it.
-Mulder
Tight lines.

ps I am now in the market for the 15 footer for any walk in fishing I may do.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deegan

I do hear many good things about the 14'. I have not been to any of the spey claves or shops where one can try the different rods out. I'm planning to pick up the 15' rod soon. I know there are many variables involved in determining how a rod performs for someone, but was just hoping to hear some personal experience from someone who has used both rods.
Thanks for the input.
GB

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
I have heard from quite a few people that the 1409 was much beefier than the 1509. I have yet to cast the 14' version but I own the 1509 and there is no way it would "easily" handle the line and tip combos mentioned above. It is a great rod for light to medium tips or a full floater but I would not say it is the best tool for 30' tips.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have the 1409 and will say it is a fine casting tool. If you really enjoy casting it is the rod for you. It is not as progressive as the 1509 and has alot of tip action. It can really throw a long dry line which is a ton of fun.

However....it sucks for fighting your average sized summer steelhead. It is way too stiff and takes a lot of the enjoyment out of fighting the fish. You might as well just flip the fish onto the bank like the old time tuna fisherman if it is under 15 pounds. The rod is way too much for smaller fish.

If you can I would advise hooking them both up to a bumper and start pulling. You will see what I mean.

But if your lucky enough to fish for large fish like they have up north you could probably get a good bend in the rod.

All things considered I like to cast it so much I still do fish it a ton. Just wish it had a tad more fish fighting feel but other than that I am happy. The 1509 may have been a better choice though.

-sean

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sinktip

My intention is to use the rod just for that --dry line and light sinktips. I fish the Cowlitz mostly and want that extra foot of rod for mending and maybe that little bit of extra distance it might provide at times.

sean

I have heard the 14' is a beefier stick but never from someone that has actually used it. I test them both as you recommended before buying.

Thanks,
GB

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sean,

I am glad that somebody else feels the same way about the 1409. A wonderful casting rod that is more at home on rivers where the fish are large. She is a beaut to cast, but overkill for normal steelies.

1509 is not too much for smaller fish (down to 5#'s) and a large fish is a handful. Nice!

William

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
GB I fish the Cow quite a bit as my parents live down there and the 1509 would be a lovely rod down there.

Inland,

I hear you. I gotta start saving for the 1509 or move to Smithers...

-sean

·
Registered
439 Posts
1409-5

Have you tried the T&T 1409-5? A littler slower action and would say more user friendly but with the muscle you need to throw some tips.
Leroy AKA Speyrd

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I've cast the T&T 1409 and 1509, and want to echo everything written above, especially about the relative stiffness of the two rods. Both are great casting sticks. I'll be using a 1509 in winter.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Actually I have the 3 piece and thought maybe with the extra sections it might slow things down. Would be interesting to give it a go.

-sean

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The T&T 1409-5 is a tad slower than the 1409-3, not a lot slower, just noticeably so. They are both very powerful casting rods. However, I certainly would not use a heavy line on it. I like it with an 8/9 MidSpey or GrandSpey, with or without tips.

The 1509 is a bit slower (it is still a fast rod) and possibly feels more progressive than the 1409's; therefore, it has a different feel than the 1409. The main difference between the 1409 and 1509 is the mid-section of the 1509 is slower and bends more when casting or fighting a fish, which is why if feels different than the 11409.

I would like to see T&T put out a 5 piece 1509 that has the quickness in the mid-sections and casting authority of the 1409. In my mind, this would make it an ideal summer rod for medium to large rivers for use with long-belly 8/9 lines. (my biases for powerful, fast-action, good casting rods are showing once again)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts