Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there fishing this rod- T&T 1409-3?

What line(s) are you using? I might be getting a hottt deal on this rod, and I am really interested to see if anyone has a Rio Skagit line on it, and if so, how many grains?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Simon's line recs for that rod show a 650 Skagit with 5' cheater. I'm a little curious though as all the other 9 weight T&Ts are listing the 550 Skagit with 5' cheater so I wonder if this is a typo. I will PM Simon and Zach and see if they can confirm one way or the other.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have it but have not tried skagit lines on it. Bob Pauli on the board has done extensive testing with the skaigt lines and this rod and if he does not chime in send him a private message.

-sean

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the 1309 which I have used with Skagit lines. I have tried both the 550 grain and the 650. No cheater at this length unless I'm fishing a very short peice of T-14 off the front.

I personally like the 650 more on it but it provides a very deep load on the rod. The 550 casts a little nicer on it, but the 650 picks up a tip and a big fly like it's not even there.

I would reccomend trying the 1409 with both and seeing which yoou like. I did put the 650 on someones 1409 at a demo one day and it cast nicely, but again with a very deep load.

Gillie

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
hey jon

if you get the rod and want to try one of the rio skagit lines on it let me know you can borrow one of mine. I have a 450 a 550 and a 650. I dont have any of the rio cheeters but I have some I have built out of 12 wt floating.
Rambo

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Yo brotha!

Buy it, I have the 1309 also. Hated it until I tried the MS8/9. WC 8/9/10 didn't feel like enough, 9/10/11 felt like too much. VooDooFly loaned me his MS 8/9 and I decided to keep it. Ordered the line the next day.

Just don't go getting a big head because your stick is a foot longer than mine :chuckle:

·
Registered
445 Posts
.............Speybstrd, I have a 1409/5, supposedly a little softer than the 3 piece. I used to use a 8/9/10 WC. Mine weighted 624 grains, casted well. Then I added a 6' section, that took the weight to 690 grains, and cast better. Now I use two custom Flite Lines. One is 41' and 580 grains. I add Rio 15' tips that weigh 120 to 150 grains to this. The other line is 26' at 513 grains. I add 20' of T14, or a Custom Cut tip that weighs 470 grains and sinks 12 ips. Absolutely wonderful rod!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got the 1409-3. My main lines on that rod have been a mid-spey 9/10 full floater or a MS 9/10 w/tips. I also cast the MS 8/9 and it worked fine but I like to feel the rod load a bit deeper so I opted for the 9/10...just personal preference. I tried a 650 g Skagit on it once and loved it.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rambo...any chance thay you will be up here any time soon so I can check out the 550 and 650? I might be down state in about a month otherwise.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
actually yes

Ill be in lewiston tonight till monday. Ill be fishing on the big man on sunday am with SVA01 :lildevl: I can loan you both lines for a while. Ill be up a more the in a few weeks. do you have my cell#
Rambo

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I do not have your cell #. What time/where r u fishing on Sunday? I might be able to met you. I will PM you my cell # ASAP. Call me so we can figure this out, and Thanks a lot. When r u coming up next if we do not hook up Sunday? Remember, as a bar manager, I have ways to bribe you to come to TC...have you seen my single malt list here at Trattoria Stella?(stellatc.com)

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
yeah I am easily coaxed with single malts.....Yeah that is a pretty nice list you got there. I got your PM Ill get you the lines this weekend and Ill have to make a special trip up for the single malt
Rambo

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks...when and where do you want to meet? Call me.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
T&T 1409-3 & Skagit Spey Line

Returned this morning from a week on the Dean, fishing the T&T 1409-3 every day with Rio Skagit 650 plus 5-foot floating cheater and 15-foot type-8 sinking tips [150 - 194 grains]. For deeper water penetration used 5-foot intermediate sink cheater with above tips. Without cheater cast BigBoy 300 grain 24-foot tip.

There were two T&T 1409-3s fished in our group of six rods, both using the above setups.

This actual fishing experience confirmed our casting pond data--the 650 Skagit is the correct head for sink tips with this rod.

To my amazement, the long casting distances we encountered with Rio Skagit heads on the casting ponds, and played down in our reporting, are fully realized in actual fishing conditions. Moderately fast moving water, unsure footing, long lengths of running line dragging against the forward progress of a cast and large flies are not enough to keep those ass kicking Skagit lines from their journey to the century mark.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Response from RIO

I got this back from Zack at RIO regarding the recomended Skagit line for the 1409-3.

The 1409-3 is a bit more poweful than the other three 9wt rods, but the 650 is a typo. The 550 is the correct line, and we'll fix the recs ASAP!
Thanks for pointing that out!

Zack

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
typos abound....... sounds like bobs got a handle on whats working for him!

i can't even imagine casting 950 grns in just over 50' wow!...... i'd have liked to have seen you guys working over the casting pool. skagit casting seems like put together a program that works well for you and go with it!

maybe someday.......

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!!!

Thanks for all of the advice. I fished this cannon yesterday for the first time, and I am in love all over again!!! :hihi: The skagit 550 with the 5' cheater is the ticket for me. I had one good grab that felt like steel(or a big brownie, I like to think it was steel!) at the end of the swing. I set up too hard on him though...I guess I have to get used to a faster stick than my sage eruos. Anyone else find this to be true? Faster/stiffer rod = slower hook set? I can not say that I really notice a difference between my slow and fast single handers on the hook set, but with this stiff bugger I think I will have to slow down my hook sets!!! Thanks again.
PS: Sorry I did not hook up with you Rambo...I got a late start and did not fish until late afternoon into the twilight.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
no prob

I left around 1 any how my arm was sore and hands had blisters. I know why I started using two handers. ouch stripping streamers for salmon with a 300 grain sink tip on a one hander for 5+ hrs. nothing to show but blisters.
any how if you want the 650 I can get it up to you. I am thinking about selling my kispiox 9/10 so I wont need it any more.
Later
Rambo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts