Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some comments about T&T DH1409-3 ( 14', wt. 9, 3pc.) vs. Scott SAS 14', wt.9 ,3 pc.
Many casters claim that both rods are very similar.
Any differences in casting floater or sinking tips?

Thanks
Salmo

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
These are very different rods. Yes, they both cast the same lines and are both 14 ft long; however, that is where the similarity ends.

The T&T 1409-3 is a fast-actioned powerful 9wt. 2-hander. It is a great rod for those who like fast-actioned 2-handers due to its wonderful casting. But if a person does not like a fast rod, he will not be happy with the T&T, it is a very quick rod. It can easily cast farther than most people will ever want to cast when fishing. And it handles both 8 and 9 wt sinktips very well as well as being a superb dry line rod.

The Scott SAS is a medium-action rod, definitely not as fast or quick as the T&T. It is also a 9wt rod that will cast sinktips and fairly large flies. However, it is not as powerful, and not nearly as fast as the T&T. It has a more languid casting cycle and uses a slower series of casting motions than the T&T as a result. It will easily cast fishing distances with sinktips or floating line. It is a very good rod, just slower than the T&T with a bit less power in the butt. The vast majority of casters who like rods a bit to the fast side of medium will like this rod.

I prefer fast-action rods, whether single-hand or 2-hand and as a result I have a decided preference for the T&T 1409 over the Scott SAS. The SAS is several hundred dollars cheaper than the T&T and that may be a consideration for some.

The bottom line is if you like a fast rod, the T&T is the way to go; if you like medium rods, the SAS is the way to go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scott SAS line

My local fly shop has told me that Scott is disconinuing the SAS line, at least for single handed rods. Is there any word on their two-handers?

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the Scott Alpha series was extremely quick? Or at least that's what I have heard...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Scott is discontinuing the SAS series. That's why you see them discounted everywhere. The rod that replaces them is the A2. A friend of mine who went to the Denver show cast the 10' 8 weight and thought it was faster than the SAS and much improved.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
ScottK,

The SAS 2-handers are not fast rods. They are medium 2-handers. Fast 2-handers have actions like the T&T, GLX, and Loop Green Series 2-handers.

I suspect the confusion about the SAS 2-handers being fast rods is that most folks compare them to the older Sage "Traditional Action" spey rods, which are very slow 2-handers. Most any rod feels fast compared to the Sage Traditional Speys.

·
Registered
141 Posts
SAS fast or medium?

I like fast rods, and I like the SAS. I have the 1308. I consider them faster than the Scott Arc series which I consider to be medium. I guess FAST is relative!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The SAS 2-handers are faster than the ARC's; however, they are not nearly as fast as T&T, GLX, or Loop Green Series 2-handers. Fast is only relative if you have not cast one of the true fast-action 2-handers along with medium and slow 2-handers to be able to compare one rod's fastness with another's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts