Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the T&T 1307 for Great Lakes steelhead and salmon. Pros and cons. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
974 Posts
It is a nice rod, but too stiff for my tastes. The rods in my quiver that get the most use are: 13'3" 7/8 & 13' 8/9 Winston BIIx's and new Meiser 13' 8/9 MKS.

- David

·
Registered
869 Posts
I will give my totaly biased opinion and say i love the rod and i have used it for the past 4 seasons on GL tribs. i use SH lines and the delta 7/8 and i don't know if i can come up with a con. it is definitly a fast rod but that's what i like so...

·
Registered
314 Posts
1307 T&t

I've enjoyed fishing the T&T 1307 on GL tribs for 3 years now and find it very suitable for our rivers here in the Mid West. I like the Airflo 8/9 shooting head with poly tips of various sink rates and the 450 grain Rio Shagit head with 15' tips. If I was to choose an all around line for this rod, one that would be a little more suitable for freezing conditions because one can get by without having to shoot alot of line, I would pick the Delta 7/8 with tips. While I'm kind of a rod freak, and have some other spey rods to play with, I don't feel they have anything over the T&T1307.
Tom

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Gunnar,

While I can't give you any input on the rod for GL fishing, I can tell you about it as a tool for steelhead from Southern Oregon to Northern BC. This is one of my favorite rods and the last of my sticks I would part with. I believe if one wated to, you could use this rod year around and never me to far out of the zone.

I have landed fish from 4 to 16 pounds on it and while a bit over gunned for the former and possibly a bit under for the latter, it works. Fish in the 6 to 12 pound range are what I would primarily target with it.

For lines, I have fished a number but my preferences are the 6/7 CND GPS, the 6/7 Delta Long or the 6/7 Midspey. If you prefer a deeper load, the rod will throw the next step up in each as well. For Skagit work, I prefer the 450 gr. Rio line with a 12' tip of either 5,7 or 9' of T-14.

I would agree with BlackFrancis that it is a fast rod as are most of the T&T offerings but not overly stiff. I would say instead it is crisp.

You might check with some of the site sponsors as I'm sure some would be able to send you out a demo rod if you don't have another opportunity to cast one.

sinktip

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies fella's !
I was foolin around with a 1307 the other day, and well......you know when a rod "just feels right," and there's that indescribable sense of...." Oh yeah, this is it!" Anyway, I'll be picking one up ASAP.:D

Thanks again, Gunnar

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Anyway, I'll be picking one up ASAP.
I don't think you will be sorry. That is a sweeeeet stick!

·
Registered
32 Posts
But where's the soul?

Yes, this is a nicely made rod that casts real damn far but for some reason it just doesn't seem to have any soul. I sold my 1409 last year and after taking my 1307 out for a bit the other day I have decided to sell it as well. It just doesn't "feel" good. It's stiff as hell, the cork is big and feels hard and the bottom section is very long and that blue blank is about the most unappealing of any rod blank around. Most great rods feel alive... to my hands the T&Ts feel like they've got rigor-mortis.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
we'll crud, and I was just going to ask a serious question about lining the 1307 with a superfast sinking scando head, on the short side for clearing big heavy flies, but by now the Blue Brigade is preparing armaments to start lobbing full brass tubes. I will stand back.

·
Registered
869 Posts
let us knowwhen you put that soulless, horribly blue, rod up for sale.:whoa:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Yes

I thought Inland was trolling for a rod to purchase!:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
32 Posts
No girls allowed...

Gunnar asked for "Pros and cons" and I was just being honest. I don't like the T&T rods and I'm not the only one who feels that way. Are we only allowed to say nice things here for fear of having our hand slapped?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Watersmeet,

No worry about getting your hand slapped. You are entitled to your opinion the same as any here.

Even if it is wrong :razz: Just kidding, I know that no one make of rod will satisfy everyone. That is the beauty of the Speypages as you get input from people with a wide variety of tastes and preferences.

sinktip

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Watersmeet,
I appreciate the advice, whether it's in favor or opposed. Thank you for yours. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Talking Sweet

Now if we going to talk about sweet casting rods, I'd like to put a vote in for the Burkheimer 7133. I have a friend that has one of these and IMHO it's the sweetest casting rod that I've ever had the pleasure of casting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As I said I was just being sarcastic.

I fully endorse a test drive on EVERY rod before dropping the dough...it helps lessen the dissatisfaction you're experiencing. Otherwise you're going to purchase something on opinion (which doesn't mean jack) that may or may not be compatable with your tastes/skill level/intended use. And then you end up mad at T&T for making junk 'cause you're stuck with $1600+ in rods you'll be lucky to get half back.

Thankfully there are a plethora of choices out there to suit our individual tastes. T&T's are their own animal. Nobody says you have to like them. However plenty do. For my individual tastes...if I was forced to choose but one rod it would be the 1307-3. But that is me and it doesn't mean a hill of beans to anybody but me.

William

1 - 20 of 39 Posts