Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone casted this canon.......... I know it is intended for casting overhead in the surf, but it would be a great underhand casting rod, with heavy sinking lines in high water conditions.....

Cheers, Gerald.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Like I have said several times before:

The T&T 12/12 is my favorite rod when needing to do deep&ugly work. It handles 700-850 grain heads with the same ease as most other rods do with floating lines.

With Single Underhand casts (read Single Spey adopted for shorter heads) in combination with a thin running line one gets well past 100' without effort. It is a dream rod with immense backbone for fighting larger fish. Still it feels alive and is pleasant to fight more moderatly sized fish, as well.

Few rods would be ranked higher by me.

Per

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
The Sage 4120 is regarded as one of the best big water Steelhead and Chinook float fishing blanks ever made. In fact many who fish big rivers like the Thompson will consider it a great match. The 4 in 4120 stands for "4 power " and the 120 is for 12'0. The power rating is from my understanding how when Sage, before going fly fishing only, used to rate the power of their drift/spin blanks available.

I have never heard of anyone trying to turn this into a two hander. It always seems to be the opposite (IE guys turning two handed blanks into drift rods) I wonder how it would perform. These blanks I believe are made out of Graphite I which I think is IM6 graphite so you may find it a tad slower on the recovery side of things and a little more unresponsive than the quicker graphites available today. But it might be powerful too, who knows? I have a Sage 3106 (power 3, 10'6) drift rod and now that you've got me on this topic.....maybe I'll have to see how she casts, even considering the 11 ceramic guides I got in it..LOL, ok, maybe not. I may also so boldly speculate that with the thinner tip so common in drift blanks to aid sensitivity, you may potentially expierience problems, or find it more difficult to execute change of direction casts. But then again, I'd have to try to confirm this. Put it this way, it wouldn't be my first recommendation, but it'd be interesting to try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts