Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look through the archives and did not see any info about this rod.

Currently looking for a mid length spey for short to medium casts that is beefy enough to handle smaller winter fish and not too much for summer fish. Kind of an all around shorter spey rod that could handle short to mid spey lines.

This is a length of rod I do not have and looking for a nice 12' stick. I am a big fan of T&Ts so I have an idea of what I am getting into to but some real world experiences with this stick would be appreciated.

-sean

·
Registered
599 Posts
T&T Rod

Sean,

Owned this rod for a year and ended up never using all that much and sold it.

It certaintly would handle winter fish, but felt it was overkill for summer fish. Fairly stiff rod and found I had to use 8/9/10 W/C to get it to load for me.

As with all the T&T rods the fit and finish was fantastic, and as I said above, I used it some in winter on Oregon coast rivers, but felt it was just overkill for summer fish.

Rphelps :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sean,
i have fished the 3 piece version a lot and it is a very powerful rod for the weight. it is light enough to single hand overhead cast easily. for our average fish of about 6 lbs it was not too much rod at all. it throws 5 ft of t-14 on a 7/8/9 wc very well for our average 45 ft cast. it is short though and can be a little limiting if the wading is past thigh deep. you will definitly want to cast one as they feel way different than any other i have tried in this general configuration. if 12' is what you want this would be on the top of the list.
on another note the new sage tcr 12' 3" 8 wt felt real nice too. i haven't fished it yet but definitly one to look at. these things don't feel like any other sage two hander i have seen. have fun doing the research anyway. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
nice rod

Hey Sean,

I've owned the 3pc version for a few years and it's a great rod. I'll throw a 6/7 Midspey for floating line work and it's a rocket. The 7/8 Short Spey works well for shorter winter tips (9' of T14 and big Intruders).

Amazingly powerful for its weight and able to throw very tight loops, the only drawback is that with the fast taper and shorter length it puts a premium on casting technique and timing.

my .02,

DS

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sean,

Allthough I don't own the 1208, I've cast them quite a few times. Back about 6 or 7 years ago Tom Dorsey was at the Seattle Sportsman's Show and Trey introduced me to Tom and I asked him what line the 1208 was designed to cast because I liked it a lot with the DT8 it was lined with at the show. He told me it was designed to cast the DT8 and for fishing between 40' and 75' (80' in a pinch) for fishing on smaller rivers. I agree with his assessment of the rod and what it would be best at and everytime I fish the upper Sky I find myself wanting to have a 1208 with a DT8 line on it.

I've never cast the rod with anything other than the DT8 because it is such a nice match for it. Although the WC 7/8/9 or midspey 7/8 ought to work well on it too.

Inland bought the 1208 last fall and fished with it and I think he decided on the DT8 line for it as well. You might drop him a note and ask what he uses. Also, DoubleHaul had the rod, I think he still does, so he is a local you can ask about it.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am going to have to see if I can get my hands on one to try.

It is between the 12'6" 7/8 stinger and the 1208-4 T&T. Will let you all know who wins in the next installment of Iron Spey.

-sean

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would take the T & T over the TCR 12'3" any day. IMO the stripping guides on the TCR are way too small but more importantly, the upper grip is 3-4" too short. With a reel mounted, the balance point is on the graphite above the grip.

That kind of thinking drives me nuts.

The T & T on the other hand, feels perfect in every way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
good point

2Hand has a good point - the grip on the 12' T&T is "full size", not the scaled down grip common on many shorter spey rods designed for underhand casting.

I've found this especially important when casting the MidSpey, as the longer the belly the more rod movement is required and the more benefit from the additional leverage with the hands wider apart.

Sean - have you checked with Aaron? If he doesn't have one in stock I'd be happy to let you cast mine. Drop me a PM and we'll figure out a time.

Tight Lines!

Brian

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sean
Looks like your covered, but just incase I have one sitting in the corner that needs a bit of fresh air. Really is a nice little stick to cast, used this rod for a year straight just could not put it down. Should run some of these new lines through it, all I ever used was the MK style short heads on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have fished the 1208 for about a year now. Out of six rods it is my second favourite to fish next to the 9140-3 sage. I fish a 7-8 SA shorthead on it and it handles it perfectly. With about a foot of the rear taper inside the tip it feels perfectly loaded and will shoot (with my ability) another 25ft no problem. It will reach out to 100 ft. but still retains the ability to fish in close. It is a bit on the fast side but it still maintains a degree of delicacy. I just love being able to snap casts of the tip with it. I feel that people are too fast to reccomend rods based on just a few hrs/days casting but after a seasons outing I feel that this is one of a very few rods that I would recomend.
Ramsay
P.S. Two hand the salt is bang on about the grip . It is a real grip as opposed to the short handles they tend to put on short rods. My arms don't get any shorter with the rods I fish.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Has anyone used this rod as an medium-light overhead rod for the salt?

Any differences between the 3 and 4 pc actions?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Steve,

I know a person who has been using it as an overhead rod in the salt with a 12wt saltwater taper. He told me lighter saltwater tapers didn't load the rod properly.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Russ, thanks sincerely for the reply, very interesting. In my mind, I've always considered the 1208 and 1212 to be 4 line weights different from each other (12-8 = ???). Jay Horton describes the 1212 as matched to 12/13 shooting heads, which I liken roughly to a WF11 single hand line. So the 1208 takes a WF12? I'm really confused. I will contact T&T to see about arranging a demo. At the least, I am sure they will respond promptly and professionally to a genuine inquiry about their fine products.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve the 1212 is rated as a single hander while the 1208 is spey rated. Thus
the big difference.

I have always felt the 1212 was misrated and it really is a 10 weight. It throws 12 weight shooting heads. Conventional wisdom is you always go 2 up in line weights for shooting heads so to me it is a 10 weight. Bet the 1208 would handle close to the same lines.

For a nice lighter overhead rod check out the 1107 T&T Double Hander.Very nice.

-sean

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Steve,

Like Sean mentioned, the 1208 is rated for spey casting and the 1212 for shooting heads. The windcutter 6/7/8 or midspey 7/8 are good matches for the 1208 and they have belly weights of 525 grs. and 575 grs, which is a lot more than a 12 wt single hand line the 1212 was designed and rated for. This is why the 12 wt saltwater line works so well on the 1208 for overhead casting.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
interesting, elsewhere Jay Horton has indicated that the 1208 casts lines a fair bit lighter than the 1212, and I have come across a recommendation of 10-11wt 35' shooting heads.

Russ, is your friend who uses the 1208 with a WF12 a convert from one-hand overhead to two-hand overhead casting, or someone with long prior spey experience? your answer will contribute data to test a theory (not mine).

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Steve,

He is a convert from fast action single-hand to 2-hand overhead casting. He first tried a 10 wt 30' shooting head on it and couldn't get the rod to load worth a darn. He then tried an 11 wt 30' shooting head and the rod still felt underloaded to him. That is when he tried his 12 wt saltwater taper and found it worked really well, which greatly surprised him.

When he told me what he did, I told him I would have taken both an 11 wt and a 12 wt shooting head or saltwater taper and cast them both on the rod to see which one I liked best to begin with. He was surprised at this because he thought going up to a 10 wt shooting head would have worked perfectly. A

After his experiment with the 10,11, and 12 wt lines he realized rods designed for 2-hand spey casting need more weight to load. This is the same principle Skagit casters are using with the shorter belly lengths they use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts