Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up this rod and was wondering what others have found lines it well. As of right now, I'm thinking a Windcutter 5/6 as a starting point. This rod will be used as a trout spey using a floating line only.

'tip

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
'tip,

As far as I know, it was designed for the 5/6 WC specifically for trout fishing. That's the line I'd use, although a DT6 should also work well.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on this little beauty --

Decided to go with the 5/6 WC. At 365 grains, it seems to be a match made in heaven. I've had it out casting a cuple of times and am looking forward to actually fishing it.

I also considered the 6/7 Delta but it came in at 500 grains and this was too heavy.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Former Cheif of EP

Did they change the weight of the Wincutters?

RIO WINDCUTTER 5/6 380 grains

My mistake they did change

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
hey tip, why not be really sacrilegious, try some single hand lines overhead and report back? As long as you don't hook something, you haven't violated any laws.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do you think it could handle steelhead in the 5 to 6lb range or would that be over kill? Will be looking for one of the ultra light speys soon!! :hihi:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian,

I don't think it would have any problem with 5-6 pound fish. I will be likely finding out as I won't get a chance to use it on the Deschutes for Redsides until next year. That means it will get some local summer run outings since it is criminal not to fish a rod for a year :)

Steve,

If I owned any overhead lines, I would give it a go :D

'tip

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
T&T 1206-3 line selection

I fish the Trinity with this rod, and have both the WC 5/6 and WC 6/7/8. I prefer the WC 6/7/8.

To the first person to donate $30 to Dana for SpeyPages, I'll send a WC 5/6 used for one hour, including postage in the US or Canada.

This is a one-piece floating line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts