Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall how it started. For some reason people send me hooks in ridiculous microscopic sizes and want to see my struggle.:devil:

I think a couple of years ago, I attempted some full dress classics on sz 6-8 hooks which turned out okay. Since then, a few friends have sent me hooks even smaller. Of course I tied on them...apparently small hooks are used when conditions warrant for salar. But most of the wee hooks I was gifted were from sizes 6-10 (blind-eyes) - still pretty plausible to tie a full dress in hand.

SLSS sent me a sz 24 with his Quarantine Challenge this Covid spring and that was a bear to tie on. I didn't think I could go any smaller and it satisfied my curiosity. 24 is as small as anyone can tie a proportionate fly in hand. Well...

A friend, Marc LeBlanc, messages me that he has a package heading my way: "a half dozen sz 28 hooks" and in the dreaded up-eye bend. :saeek:

Really...this is a useless thread. And the hook really won't serve anyone's purpose but only to dispel my curiosity if it is possible to tie a decent fly in hand on such a ridiculous hook size.

It's a Chimney Sweep from Francis Francis

I stuck to using silk tying thread (a modern nano thread would probably be easier and cleaner for a smaller head...but I wouldn't have been happy with that).

Just a little larger than the head of a Chimney Sweep that went to Fly Fishing Collaborative.

This should be the last of my wetfly posts until late fall (unless I hook a steelhead on one of the small ones SLSS gave me).

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,820 Posts
Oh man that's just insane!

To see the difference against that 3/0 is incredible. I bow in you general direction out of respect of your skills.

Dan

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sz 28...

Well Adrian,
Perhaps Sir Edmond Hillary's rejoinder is the most appropriate comment here: "because it was there..."
I'd fish it but I'm not sure how you'd sink it into the run.
Hope its a good season for you-we all need it.
I owe you a tie-up of a Lorne; will do it soon.
Almost started skating mini-Wangs last week but the floods came to Michigan.

Tight lines,
Tom

·
Registered
362 Posts
Perhaps someone can send you some size 32 to tie. I have trouble seeing a 28, wouldn't even attempt to tie one. You did a beautiful job at tying it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That’s impressive!!!! I don’t think I could even hold a hook that small yet try and tie a fly in hand on one! Well done!!!

·
Undertaker
1,339 Posts
North Platte River. August. Trico hatch and spinner fall. Big browns. 6X. Maybe 7.

Long ago I was a bit of a local hero when I tied two tricos on a single size 18 hook for the Orvis shop in Denver. Worked better than singles and you could actually land some of the fish you hooked.

Adrian, you are obsessed, and we are blessed that you are and yes, even that insane, tiny fly, could catch a fish - just not a steelhead. (well, maybe a smolt, which don't count).

·
Registered
519 Posts
pretty cool adrian . i think you should send rick (slss) a piece of postage stamp size tissue paper and have him do a landscape ! turnabout is fair play .
thanks , jim

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pardon me if I query this, but do you know what pattern of hook that is and make too if poss?.
Its just that I coarse fish a lot here in UK and in winter certainly I'll use size 24 hooks as regular, on odd occasion I'll drop to 26 when its really hard going.
That hook looks a big hook for a 28 thats all!.
Now that comes across as being a twat I know, but I couldn't tie a flee that small on that hook in any way shape or form, I'd probably manage a granny knot at best I'm blown away by your skill and patience completely!.
Just maybe its because in hooks that small I'd be using a spade end, and a hook of much finer wire which gives a smaller hook overall compared to a eyed hook.
If you're feeling brave, I can lay my hands on some size 30 hooks, but they'll be spade ends and you will need a magnifier to tie on them. For heavens sake, don't drop one on the carpet!
Amazing stuff indeed. Tie on dude, Yorkie.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Adrian,
Perhaps Sir Edmond Hillary's rejoinder is the most appropriate comment here: "because it was there..."
I'd fish it but I'm not sure how you'd sink it into the run.
Hope its a good season for you-we all need it.
I owe you a tie-up of a Lorne; will do it soon.
Almost started skating mini-Wangs last week but the floods came to Michigan.

Tight lines,
Tom
I had the same thought, Tom : it's gonna be tough to break the surface tension on the water with this hook without weight. Hope the water abates for Michigan. Michiganders have had a tough spring for sure. Cheers and we'll stay positive.

Perhaps someone can send you some size 32 to tie. I have trouble seeing a 28, wouldn't even attempt to tie one. You did a beautiful job at tying it.
I think someone threatened to send me a 32:hihi:. Yeah, I dont know how to even thread the tippet through this hook...it would require midge diameter lines.

Head looks crowded.
:hihi: I actually feel that way. But it's all I can do with that silk thread. Limiting wraps is paramount but there is no easy way to apply tension to keep the materials in place without a half-hitch. I also learned that at these sizes wax is not as effective (although it is still tremendously helpful) - the hook diameter is too thin for the waxed thread to really catch and secure.

I admire your patience!

these little hooks do get used as is shown in the following:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019096/
WoW! The Japanese never cease to amaze me. Their attention to detail and art in creating those miniature bamboo rods are worth keeping that tradition alive. Thanks for sharing that link.

Send a photo of this to the governor of your State, so that he/she can see how pittiously the people are suffering.
:hihi::hihi:

North Platte River. August. Trico hatch and spinner fall. Big browns. 6X. Maybe 7.

Long ago I was a bit of a local hero when I tied two tricos on a single size 18 hook for the Orvis shop in Denver. Worked better than singles and you could actually land some of the fish you hooked.

Adrian, you are obsessed, and we are blessed that you are and yes, even that insane, tiny fly, could catch a fish - just not a steelhead. (well, maybe a smolt, which don't count).
Pretty awesome feat to tie 2 tricos onto a single 18 hook, Rich. Thank you for your support, my friend.

pretty cool adrian . i think you should send rick (slss) a piece of postage stamp size tissue paper and have him do a landscape ! turnabout is fair play .
thanks , jim
:chuckle: I should challenge that guy. I bet he could landscape something that small.

Pardon me if I query this, but do you know what pattern of hook that is and make too if poss?.
Its just that I coarse fish a lot here in UK and in winter certainly I'll use size 24 hooks as regular, on odd occasion I'll drop to 26 when its really hard going.
That hook looks a big hook for a 28 thats all!.
Now that comes across as being a twat I know, but I couldn't tie a flee that small on that hook in any way shape or form, I'd probably manage a granny knot at best I'm blown away by your skill and patience completely!.
Just maybe its because in hooks that small I'd be using a spade end, and a hook of much finer wire which gives a smaller hook overall compared to a eyed hook.
If you're feeling brave, I can lay my hands on some size 30 hooks, but they'll be spade ends and you will need a magnifier to tie on them. For heavens sake, don't drop one on the carpet!
Amazing stuff indeed. Tie on dude, Yorkie.
:chuckle: Yorkie, my friend that sent me the hooks wrote in his letter that these are Mustad 94842 sz 28s. He also mentioned that somehow the pics I took make the hook look larger than it actually is...and I tend to agree with him. My daughters saw the pics and it didn't sink in how tiny the hook is until they saw it in person. I don't know how anyone can hold and conventionally thread the eye on these things. Cheers!

What was it that John Lennon sang in “Come Together?”

“..... You can feel his disease.”

Damned if he wasn’t singing about Adrian! :)
Now you got that song in my head:chuckle: and I got a long night shift to go

Adrian

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debarb View Post
"Head looks crowded."

"I actually feel that way. But it's all I can do with that silk thread. Limiting wraps is paramount but there is no easy way to apply tension to keep the materials in place without a half-hitch. I also learned that at these sizes wax is not as effective (although it is still tremendously helpful) - the hook diameter is too thin for the waxed thread to really catch and secure."

Not to mention that the wax alone takes up 50% of the hook length! Great stuff, Adrian.

Smallest fly I ever tied was a 22 caddis, for this extremely finicky monster trout that hung out one summer in a little slot near the bank at Oak Springs. Can't imagine a 28.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts