Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thanks in advance for your thoughts. I could really use some help making the all important decision between the Meiser S2H11056-4 and the Winston 5wt Micro Spey.

Here's where i'm at. I have a 13 ft 8/9 B2 I've been using for years and I love it. It casts for days. My only complaint is that it is too beefy once I get a fish on meaning if I get a good hook set I can basically put the butt in my gut and the fish is as good as caught. I caught 1 B run monster on the Deschutes years ago that gave the rod a run for its money but anything in the 8-10lbs range isn't as fun as it could be on a lighter rod. It's great for Chinook but that is a big big fish. I should have got a 6/7 or 7/8. Lesson learned and that's just my personal preference. I'd rather have to little of a rod than too much. I'm the guy that fishes the Salmonfly hatch on the D with a 3wt.

So I'm thinking about an 11 foot 5wt switch that I can use as an all around rod that does a nymph set up and swing machine. I realize that no rod does both perfectly but some are pretty good at both.

My question is how stiff or fast is the Meiser 11ft 5/6 compared to a Winston Micro Spey 5wt, Sage One, Z-Access or Sage Accel?

What is it comparable too?

I really want to love the Meiser rods. They are so special looking you can just tell they are just made with a lot of love. But because they are not at your local shop I can't tell and before I ask him to send me a loaner I thought I'd ask here since so many of you love these rods.

Like I said before thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Nobody knows Meiser rods better than he does- give him a call, he's great to talk to.

I'd think about the 11'7 series he does. I have both 10 1/2 ft and 11'7, and prefer the longer rod for the switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with him a few days ago. What a great guy. You can just tell he puts everything into these rods. The 11'7 is definitely in consideration. So how stiff are they? And can you compare them to something else even if it's in a general way?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Milo,

As suggested ... Why not let us send you a rod or two and you can determine for yourself if they'll have the correct actions.

Meiz
Nothing like making my decision harder! I'm going through a similar dilemma right now... Thanks for the detailed email response earlier Mr. Meiser, I'll try and get in to see you before I head back over the mountains....

Sorry about the thread Jack there...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milo,

As suggested ... Why not let us send you a rod or two and you can determine for yourself if they'll have the correct actions.

Meiz
Bob thanks so much for jumping in! That's what I'm talking about. Clearly these rods are made from heart and soul. I love that. Who does that these days?

So I would love too have one sent to me but I'm traveling a lot for the next month or so. And I would like to make up my mind soon before the wife changes her mind LOL.

I was planning on calling you again with a few other questions to narrow down my choice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Meiser 11'

Milo,

Bob will give you all the detailed info you need but I thought I would add my own for whatever it may be worth.

I have the Meiser 11' 4/5 switch. I fish the Deschuted regularly with it, especially the salmon fly hatch. Tons of fun! I would not consider the rod stiff. It is very smooth, with a great feeling/sensitive tip and quick recovery. (Built on the classic blank) It's very light in hand and I can cover all the fishing conditions the Deschutes has to offer. Long casts and short tight bank casts. I have not used my 4/5 for steelhead, would be fun though and could handle the average Deschutes fish. I think the 5/6 would be great for both trout and steelhead. Best of luck with your decision. And yes, when you hold a Meiser you know you are holding a true piece of craftsmanship made with a love and passion for fishing. Meiser is top notch.

SL2

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Test cast as many rods as possible prior to making the final decision.

They all have personalities and one will fit your casting style.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 3 Meiser rods (14' 7/8/9 Eve, 13' 7wt S, and an 11' 7" 5/6/7) and the 11'7" is by far my favourite. That being said I like to fish big rods on big water but look forward to fishing it in smaller systems or on big systems under really low water conditions. A blast to cast and fish and can can tame some decent sized fish.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Admittedly my experience is limited as I only have five Meiser rods, most on the longer side from where you are shopping, but, based on that sample, it's not clear to me Bob has it in him to make a brutish rod. Even the big sticks have a sweet feel to them. So I'd guess if the weight class is appropriate for your target, you'll be OK, all the ones I have are fine fishing tools.

Having said that, shorter rods by nature subjectively seem "stiffer". But you can't describe a rod by one adjective. Neither the MKS nor Highlander actions are really "stiff" but they are different from each other, and quite different again, in my experience, from the Winston B2X 8/9 you appear to have.

And as already said repeatedly, you really need to cast the rod to know if it is right for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time. I'm thinking the 11 5/6 is going to be the one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just to spice it up a little...

12'6" 3/4/5 Highlander Classic

I fished the 4/5/6 version in Bristol Bay for a week (on loan from Bob) and landed rainbows up to 29" on it. It was a bit much for anything 18" and below. Decided it was too much for the Deschutes or McKenzie, so when i bought I downsized to the 3/4/5 so smaller trout would still be fun to catch.

The other super fun Deschutes rod is my son's 9'9" 2 handed "Trouter" Bob built. I love that rod for salmon flies, running a nymph or swinging a bugger.

We'll have both of these out of the river tomorrow, along with a 7/8 for steelhead. Probably more of a trout day, if the boy gets tired maybe I can find a place to swing a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3/4/5 That is a serious 12 ft chopstick of a rod. I love it. I'm definitely thinking carefully about it. Meiser is sending me a few to try. Once I get a general feel for the action and power of the rods it will help me make the decision on the wt. I went to my local shop and tried a few different rods. Of course I ended up with a Sage One in my hand at the end of it all. Killer rod with a brutal price lol. The Echo SR 6wt was actually a pretty nice stick. I didn't like any of the other Echos, TFO, or Redingtons though. Way too soft for my liking.

Anyway I can't wait to test out the Meisers. He has been super nice and patient explaining all this fandangled line speak that just wasn't part of the discussion when I got my spey 10 or so years ago. The conversation back then was "do you want the rio changeable setup or not." Good news is that it sounds like lines are very specific and much better. Bad news is that you need a phd to understand what people are talking about lol...

I hope you Oregonians take the time to soak in the glory that is the D and the whole PNW for that matter i.e Trask, Wilson, Klick, Santiam etc.... I moved down to the Bay 8 years ago and the fishing hasn't been the same since. You guys are chasing 8-12 lb steel right now and I'm chasing 3-5lb steel with my 5wt single hander. Don't get me wrong there are some great thinks about life down here but Oregon fishing is tough to compete with. This will be my first winter really going after steelhead down here so hopefully I'll find a new home water. As of now I'm just jealous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts