Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 11' rod that is designed to be either used as a spey rod or single-handed rod. Does anyone have experience with a similiar rod? Do you use spey lines or a single line on the rod? Thoughts? The purpose will be Great Lakes steelhead fishing.

Thanks,
David Dornblaser
[email protected]

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lotsa options

The short answer is you can do anything you want with it, as rods in this size work with both one and two hands. I've found that two hands make for easier, more efficient work than one. I assume you've read the other threads about 'trout speys'. If not, you should as they cover this rod size range.

Line choice is influenced by presentation. You can use single-hander lines for overhead casting, and longer belly lines such as the Steelhead tapers and Airflo Bankmaster work for normal spey casts depending on line weight. Some of the more powerful rods in this size range can handle the short head spey lines in lighter weights. With lighter weight rods, you can use bass and pike tapers to meet the same need.

Carl

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rod Choice

I am looking at the Winston IIx, 11' 7 wt. I would probably use the WF Steelhead taper to start out with.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
294 Posts
11'3"

For my lake fishing I have several 11'3" trout type rods casting #5/#6/#7 lines , I have always used DT floaters with these as long range casting isnt the object with traditional style loch /lough /lake angling .
The heavy line outfit casts double handed spey casts and covers medium sized salmon and seatrut rivers well ,the extra lenght give good line control .
If I can find the right rated spey type line I will give it a try in the near future as I am finding the new tapers work well .

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
One of our sponcers (R. B. Meiser Rods)

makes several 'switch rods' that are set up just as your seeking.
If your willing to go to as much as a 13' rod the CND 'Spey Tracker' is a cracker jack rod. MJC was kind enough to send me a 'demo' and for summer run steelhead/half pounder 'work' here on the Rogue it will be a DANDY!

One other posibility, is the 11'3" reddington and have an extention handle put on below the reel seat. Also a delightful (and cheap!!) "switch rod."

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meiser's Rods

I know that Meiser's Rods are a sponsor of this site. They certainly have a great reputation. Unfortunately, I have not seen one here in the Midwest. Winston is sold and support by my local Fly Shop. And, the 11' 7 wt. is reputed to have been designed for Great Lakes Steelhead. Jerry Kustich, who works for Winston and co-wrote Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead, is supposed to have been involved in the design. I wasn't considering this rod until my dealer brought it out to show me. Now I am thinking of summer steelhead on the St. Joseph River ................

I hope to visit the Northwest soon and see not only your storied rivers but some of your fly shops soon. Maybe then I will see a Meiser rod.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CND Spey Tracker?

fredaevans,

Ummm ..... I just re-read your post, what is the CND Spey Tracker? I do not see it on their website, is it a new rod? What is it like?

Thanks,
David

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey David...

Winston is sold and support by my local Fly Shop
Before you spend your money will your local fly shop let you take that Winston to the river for a test drive to see if it will work for your ability and casting style? Bob Mieser will send you a demo to test in "real world" conditions. Take care, MJC

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Winston will send out test rods. There is lake that is convenient to the fly shop as well. It is good to know that Meiser will send out a test rod, I will look at his site again after I make this post.

Rather than discuss the merits of two good rod makers, I am more interested in hearing your feelings about the use of switch rods for summer run steelhead.

David

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey David...

I am more interested in hearing your feelings about the use of switch rods for summer run steelhead.
No matter who's rod you buy I think it is a great idea. As I said earlier with the right line you have a great many options. In my view the more versatile you are the better you will be able to deal with the many changing conditions you may encounter while astream. Take care, MJC

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey David...

Yes, Winston will send out test rods.
By all means try one out. A fly shop that will make demo tackle available to test on the water deserves your dollars. After you take that Winston for a test drive I hope you will tell us what you think. Take care, MJC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts