Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am considering buying a switch rod for streamer and low-water salmon fishing. In general I am fond of traditional-action rods. I was wondering whether someone could give me advice on the different options that are out there.

At least on first sight the two most interesting options are Winston BIIx (all of my trout rods are their WTs and I like them a lot) and GLoomis NativeRun GLX Single Spey. The latter is supposed to be medium-fast. If anyone has compared these two, information on their differences would be much appreciated.

I also know about the Meiser rods, but as far as I know we do not have a dealer here, and - yes, I am an (¤) (...hole :)) - I would like to buy from a larger company with perhaps better support in the long run.

G

·
If 7 weight is enough for the size of fish you are fishing too and you are already a fan of Winston I would go with there 11' 7 weight BIIx. I owned the rod and it was very nice especially if you like a more moderate action...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bum,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I could also use an 8wt line (say, WF) with the BIIx if I need to use larger flies.

Which lines did you use with the rod?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Jarmo

give Bob Meiser, a sponsor http://www.meiserflyrods.com/, a ring. He has been building switch rods for a mumber of years and can give you great advice. If he doesn't build it and someone else does, he will let you know.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I own the winston bIIx and have done quite a bit of fishing with it. I lined it with a 9wt airflo 40+ backed with 35lb slick shooter. I cut the airflo head about 10-12 feet back from the tip and installed loops. I use 6-10 feet of polyleader (extra-super fast) or airflo t-10 material for sinking tips. From the back of the head to the fly is anywhere from 35-40 feet, depending on leader & tip length. I can pretty reliably shoot an additional 20-25+ feet. The limitation of this setup would be carrying capacity. It's great for weighted nymphs and bead-head wooly buggers, but even small bunny leeches are tougher. With a shorter, heavier head leeches could happen. Carrying capacity would be its weak point. Strong points: great in tight places, light, effortless to cast.

Edit: I should point out that I almost never cast this overhead. It's all done 2-handed, skagit style. I went through several lines entertaining the thought that one line could be used for spey and overhead casts, only to conclude that for me, at least, it's one or the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts