Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys need some expert opinions. Have an 11'6" switch rod loaded with airflo skagit switch and slickshooter. Have 10-12 ft t-11 and 3-4 ft 10lb maxima. Looking for some steelhead patterns that will cast well on this setup. Anyone with some expertise please let me know. I have the basics of some sustained anchor casts down, but it seems like when I go with a sparse intrider with weighted head I realy have to overpower my casts to get them 60-70 ft.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I do not know what class you have rod but with good switch rod class 7 with Airflo skagit switch 390 grain and Rio 10' tip (4 gram) is possible to cast even with big francies weight 2 gram to something like 30m or close.
Might happened that your tip is little bit too heavy for this rod &head especially when you use weighted flies. Just try tip 6-8 ft or /end unweight intruder. you will find problem .

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
As klops mentions, it would be helpful to know the rods line class and weight of the head.

No expert here but wondering if your getting enough bottom / low hand into the cast?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rod 8 wt med fast. Aiflo skagit switch 540grain 20 ft head. Casts well but will collapse if I dont punch it. Went by rio wesite line selecto for grainweight and taper lenth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was thinking 480 grain but was mainly focusing on skagit style casts. If I weight my flies the cast flops. Dont really want to cut tips the tip is already only 20feet.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'd say the last thing to consider is your fly, a 540 switch and T-11 should throw anything you could want. I used to throw giant bunny leeches with a 540. Maybe try a different line but more importantly work on your casting stroke, maybe a lesson is in order?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If your cast is collapsing i would say aim your cast a little higher, gives it time to transfer all the energy from the shooting head to the tip and then onto the fly.
That weight head should have no probs turning over a weighted intruder unless it is gargantuan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am goin to try 12 ft type 6 sink. 45 grains. See what happens. Any input if 540 shooting head would be too much?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im throwing switch chucker on my 8 wt beulah switch. I think its 530 grain. 10 ft of whatever t tip i put on (8-14)and i dont have a problem turning over flies or flinging them out there. I am running a shorter leader setup. Its about a foot of 25 lb maxima tied to a microswivel and then 2-4 feet of seaguar 12-15 lb tippet.

Ben

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
540 shouldn't be too much for an 8...at all.

But go ahead and try a 510, especially if that is recommended. Would also try a Compact Skagit rather than the Skagit Switch. The shorter head increases the grains per foot, and I find that can make a noticeable difference.

You don't have to weight your Intruders, by the way. They will turn over better without the weight.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Try a Hobo Spey or unweighted Trailer Trash or Pick YerPocket, medium weighted fly. They are funner to cast.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Am goin to try 12 ft type 6 sink. 45 grains. See what happens. Any input if 540 shooting head would be too much?
A 20 ft short 540 has enough mass to turn over almost anything...and for that matter so will the 510.... whichever balances your rod the best.

But I think you also need a tip with some mass to turn over a big heavy fly....
A 45 gr tip is REALLY light. I think going with a lighter tip like this might be problematic.

I don't think there is anything about the setup you described initially that shouldn't be able to cast almost any fly. The T11 is fine with a short skagit of 540 and big flies, and so is T14. Sometimes it just takes some practice.

Taking the weight off the fly as suggested by others is also some good advice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help. Yes definatly cast has to ne worked on . Good to hear that the setup should be ok. Was concerned being relitively new, the weights of all the gear that is caster seems horrendous. Theres tons of material out there on casting and I have done fairly well. Just have to get out there and do it. I will say that spendingvyears steelheading with 8 wt sh rod. This setup is soo much more efficient.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just cast my usual flies! If it's a bit heavy I will change out to something a bit lighter. I do add bullet weights as needed for my dredging time!

·
Registered
517 Posts
540 shouldn't be too much for an 8...at all.

But go ahead and try a 510, especially if that is recommended. Would also try a Compact Skagit rather than the Skagit Switch. The shorter head increases the grains per foot, and I find that can make a noticeable difference.

You don't have to weight your Intruders, by the way. They will turn over better without the weight.
in my opinion generally manufacturers recommended much too heavy heads.
I for switch class 8 use head 420grains and it working perfectly. Depend on tip , fly and condition I use "water or air born " casts .

500-520 grain head (RIO scandi body Guideline DDC) I use with 15' t tips for my 15' class 10-11 NRX rod!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im assumin scandi is much lighter than skait setups. I could put and ambush 10-11 on but it wouldn serve the purpose ivam looking to execute. I have an 8 wt 10' sh rod with 420 g skagit in it for small river fishing. Setup works well but not to true skagit form. I understand if I want a true skagit setup, go with a dkagit rod. I fish in vancouver bc area and for the most part, I dont swing flies all day. So it is nice to havea skagit setup on a switch rod then goto Iindicators when the fish are less active. I am under the assumtion that on a smaller river. This setup should cast flies of all sizes quite well. Any opinions?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts