Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here, I', looking to add a switch rod to the collection for Atlantic Salmon and Great Lakes steelhead. I've narrowed it down to the Loomis NRX 12' 6 weight and the Sage One 11'6' 7 weight.

For atlantics it will be all Scandi, for the Great Lakes steelhead some tips but not full blown depth chargers.

As a side note the Atlantics are typically in the 6-10 lbs range, pushing 15 on occasion.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for any insight you can share.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
why not get a burkie 7117 ? about the same price, and you'll get cork that will last. if you fish alot, you'll see the difference in a year. not to mention all the attention to detail, and a great casting rod.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't know the loom is but the sage switch rods are excellent. I use the old TCX 7119 for Atlantic salmon in the size range you are fishing for and using a scandi mainly. I know the sage method is supposedly the same as the old TCX so may be worth a look. I have found sage corks to be excellent

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
These are both actually small Spey's...the idea of a true Switch rod is to be able to use it either as a one hander or switch to a small two hander, I would think the 6wt is a bit too light for what you might ask of it...a 12 lb Great Lakes Steelhead is possible and that will be a big fish for a #6 rod
C

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so let's add in the Burkheimer 7117-4 and remove the cost and cork factor. I've been fishing a couple of NRX rods a lot over the past three years and had no cork issues. I would actually say the NRX cork is the nicest of any rod on the market today including the Burheimer trout rods I have had the opportunity to fish but this can be subjective.

In your experience, and I know this is very subjective, is there something this Burkie does better and/or worse than the NRX or ONE? I am not looking to create any controversy here, just looking for feedback to help me make an educated decision. I went to the local shop this morning and spent about an hour casting with the Sage ONE with a Scandi line and enjoyed it. Would you say the Burkie is similar in action to the ONE, if not what difference should I expect? Unfortunately there are no Burkheimer dealers in the area so I don't believe I will be able to demo one.

Thanks for any feedback you can share.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you've tried the ONE 7116-4 and like it, not much more to say. I have 4 double-handed ONES and have cast a bunch more including the rod you are looking at and liked them all. Get a good rod-line match and Bob's your uncle! I don't think there is a bad rod in the ONE 2-hand lineup. Enjoy.

On that ONE 7116-4, we were using a 7-weight AFS (nice), or a Snowbee Switch @400 grains. Both handled well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is some more questionable feedback. I have no experience with the Sage, however I have fished the NRX 12 FT in the top of the water column, on the Deschutes, with small flies. I have also fished the Burkie on the Copper with a head and weight for fished laid up in a deep hole. I believe the Burkie to be one rod class stronger than the NRX. There is an interesting video from the Fly Fishing Shop (Welches) with Josh Linn throwing the NRX for Winter fish. He is doing great things with the little rod but he is an exceptional caster and angler. I have been test casting a Loop 7120 Cross S1 and believe it is as good as any. The handle and seat on the Loop are clunky in my hand. Also, I am not so sure how I will get it fixed after I eventually break it. There are no bad rods in this group. I know you will love which ever one you pick.

Good Luck

KenDayton
Seattle

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you've tried the ONE 7116-4 and like it, not much more to say. I have 4 double-handed ONES and have cast a bunch more including the rod you are looking at and liked them all. Get a good rod-line match and Bob's your uncle! I don't think there is a bad rod in the ONE 2-hand lineup. Enjoy.

On that ONE 7116-4, we were using a 7-weight AFS (nice), or a Snowbee Switch @400 grains. Both handled well.
Ditto the above

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all. I cast the NRX last night and have decided to go forth with the Sage ONE 7116-4. The NRX was very nice but the Sage just felt a little better in my hands which is funny because I typically prefer Loomis rods over Sage rods.

I am hopefully going to break it in on the Marimichi the 1st week in July. Anyone have any experience with Scandi lines on this rod? As usual any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you get second thoughts

Just in case you get any second thoughts,

I have not casted Sage One from the rods mentioned but all the other rods yes. To me Burkheimer 7117-4 is the most versatile and the most true spey rod in this class I have ever casted. It is still light enough to be casted with one hand if desired to do so. It will cast floating and sinking lines with ease. Also, it is forgiving and easy to cast but at the same time offers a pure treat for more skilled casters. Hard to imagine it is possible to get as much as one can get from such small package as with this rod!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make a call.

I would highly suggest to contact their shop directly. Anything else would be just guessing =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts