Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed to TDF next winter to fish the Rio Grande and Jurassic Lake. Based upon some recommendations I am planning to take a switch rod with me. I have narrowed my choice down to two Sage rods.

TCX 7119-4 or the ONE 7116-4. Clearly the ONE is easy to find, the TCX not so much. But that aside, which would you guys suggest. I have gotten some input favoring the ONE as its really light and pleasing to cast all day but others say they think the TCX is better down in TDF due to the likely winds.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am headed to TDF next winter to fish the Rio Grande and Jurassic Lake. Based upon some recommendations I am planning to take a switch rod with me. I have narrowed my choice down to two Sage rods.

TCX 7119-4 or the ONE 7116-4. Clearly the ONE is easy to find, the TCX not so much. But that aside, which would you guys suggest. I have gotten some input favoring the ONE as its really light and pleasing to cast all day but others say they think the TCX is better down in TDF due to the likely winds.

Thoughts?
I have the One 7 wt.
I cannot imagine a situation when it's not enough rod - as a 7wt.

I have a 5 wt TCX, and it's slower than the comparable 5 wt One.

The "One's" are superb rods, at least for my taste&style…no floppiness, at all, but the tip remains sensitive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sage Switch Rod

Hi Steve

I have fished the Rio Gallegos just north of the Rio Grande four times over a number of years. A switch rod would be ideal for some of the narrow more braidy sections of the river. I had a trial cast of a Sage Method 11ft 9 wt at the weekend and it was one of the finest rods I've ever cast. Argentine Sea-trout are some of the strongest fish I have ever caught and I wouldn't feel confident in bullying any of them with anything less than a 8wt. I can provide a few tips on flies if you think that might be useful. All my Argentine fishing photos and fly patterns are on my facebook page if your interested. Could even send you some freebies if you think it would help.

Tight Lines
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts