Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am looking to buy my first switch rod and plan on it being my only 2h rod for a few years at least. I fish mainly lake ontario tribs and the grand river in ontario. for great lake fish i was thinking a 7wt is plenty for the size of fish and for casting sink tips. i was wondering if the 7wt would be good enough for the occasional salmon although i dont target them too often, and what would be the max sink tip a 7wt could toss (if i were to use it in a river like the niagara). or would an 8wt be the better option (or would that be over powering it a bit?).

thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
For me it would be an 8 wt. I like a skagit line in the 480 to 550 grain range to handle T14 and big flies, and in my experience that's an 8 wt. Now a 7 wt. would work also, but for me the extra grains that an 8 wt handles just makes it easier. Good luck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If this is going to be your first 2 hander you might give some thought to a 13- 14 ft. Spey rod. I think it would be easier to learn on than a switch rod which requires a more restrained/ educated casting stroke. If the rivers you fish won't handle a longer rod, that's another thing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Longer if it is your only!

I would 2nd the notion to go with a Spey rod to get into the sport...mainly because you wrote it would be your 1st and only for a couple of seasons.

I don't know that you need to go all the way to 14'?

A rod somewhere between 12'-13' would be wise and yes, those rods like our 12'9" 7 Onyx will handle the occasional Salmon.

Going a little longer gives you some leverage and a little leverage will make things a little easier for you. Plus there is versatility with smaller to larger streams, Steelhead or Salmon, plus sink tip ability.

BB~

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello, i am looking to buy my first switch rod and plan on it being my only 2h rod for a few years at least. I fish mainly lake ontario tribs and the grand river in ontario. for great lake fish i was thinking a 7wt is plenty for the size of fish and for casting sink tips. i was wondering if the 7wt would be good enough for the occasional salmon although i dont target them too often, and what would be the max sink tip a 7wt could toss (if i were to use it in a river like the niagara). or would an 8wt be the better option (or would that be over powering it a bit?).

thanks.
It depends. Are you targeting Kings(Chinook) Salmon? If not than a 7wt will do. If kings come into play, or are your focus, then an 8-9wt rod. The problem is, anything under 10 lbs, you are going to be over-gunned. If the average fish is under 10-12lbs, go with a 7wt, and it will still pull in that once in a while salmon when needed.

I also agree with a Spey over a Switch. Unless you are only fishing some narrow tribs.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What he said.

It depends. Are you targeting Kings(Chinook) Salmon? If not than a 7wt will do. If kings come into play, or are your focus, then an 8-9wt rod. The problem is, anything under 10 lbs, you are going to be over-gunned. If the average fish is under 10-12lbs, go with a 7wt, and it will still pull in that once in a while salmon when needed.

I also agree with a Spey over a Switch. Unless you are only fishing some narrow tribs.
Great long spey rods are for video productions; 12-13 foot will handle any thing your likely to hook short of a Great White Shark. When folks ask me 'What line weight should my first rod be' there are two questions back: 'Size of fish and size of water.'

In most cases the answer is a 'true' 7wt. For smaller water/smaller fish a 5 will be a total hoot if you hook one. Be ready to run down the beach with a '5.'

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
How big of salmon?

My 7 wt switches shine on everything from 5 lbs to close to 20 lbs. I don't feel much more undergunned on an 11'9 inch switch than I do on a 13 footer on those bigger fish.

If you are hooking into 25+ lb determined kings...well then a 7 wt in the 11-11'9 ft range is undergunned, but so were most of the 13 ft 7's that I've had.
I would have no problem suggesting you find a nice crisp 7wt switch and go have fun. If you hook a big king you can always just point the rod at him and break him off. The battle with those big guys isn't that much fun, anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand starting with a spey over a switch, but most of the rivers id be fishing you could almost touch the other bank with a spey rod without casting. Also i have fished switch rods before and i like the ability to switch to nymphing when it tickles my fancy. As for salmon, i usually would fish them in lake O with a single hand rod but i would only want to catch one or two in the rivers cuz they are usually dark and beat up, so i guess a 7 weight would make more sense. Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
79 Posts
Boch, thats the whole point of a switch rod, versatility. If your having trouble with the learning to cast it, theres a ton of guys that spey cast on the ontario tribs that you could get a lesson from, maybe even one of the fly shops. And theres spey nation in the early summer.

Ben

·
Registered
371 Posts
I understand starting with a spey over a switch, but most of the rivers id be fishing you could almost touch the other bank with a spey rod without casting. Also i have fished switch rods before and i like the ability to switch to nymphing when it tickles my fancy. As for salmon, i usually would fish them in lake O with a single hand rod but i would only want to catch one or two in the rivers cuz they are usually dark and beat up, so i guess a 7 weight would make more sense. Thanks for the help everyone
I agree, long rods are for long casts, and you don't need it. A good 10'6"-11' switch in a 7wt will work fine for you. I like my Beulah Classic, also the Orvis rods are pretty good. Saw an Orvis Hydros2 7wt in the classifieds going for less than 1/2 price of a new one. Worth a look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts