Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a K.I.S.S. kind of guy.

I was reading again about a 90% change of direction in the Grant switch, how does this differ from a 90% change of direction with a single spey?

andre

·
Registered
439 Posts
Switch cast

Andre, Guess I will bite since nobody else has. From what I have gleaned a Switch cast is "from point A back to point A". A Spey cast goes, "from point A to point B and back to point A".
Another goes like this, small angle change up to 20-30 degrees and from there it is considered a Single Spey Cast.

Don't have an answer for you question. Could it be the same thing as what is a forward Spey?
Hope those in the Know will chime in and enlighten us.
Leroy....................

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
seemingly the casts overlap,,or,is there true definition at all times,i know i'll say to myself;`just fish it',meaning;;hey,fool don't beat the water,,you're scaring the fish,,mend that and fish it!i've twisted some wild casts out,more than 90'degrees,plus done some very,,ungentlemanly casting as well,but fished like i was there to play,,,not to critique myself,,even though nobody does it better,when i quit having fun with it,i'll go find something esle to laugh about,,are it spey casting or ghillie ??:hehe:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I did a newsletter article on this a few years ago. I thought you might have it Andre? You should have received it with your subscription. If you didn't email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

Essentially, and to perhaps indulge in oversimplification, if you eliminate the "rod tip dip" out of your single spey thus moving your rod tip in a horizontal path and have minimal anchor you are doing a Grant Switch. The original single spey as described by Grant and Jock Scott in Fine and Far Off had an up-down-up (the "rod tip dip") motion as the line is swung round to form the D loop, and a lot of line was placed on the water.

I think that most of us tend to do more of a Grant Switch than a classic single Spey, but we call it the single Spey, which may or may not be entirely accurate.

(BTW, I like KISS too--especially the guy who breathes fire and spits blood..."I wanna rock and roll all night...")

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
tired of rocken' and rollen' all night,

i wanna fish! these long nites are drivin' me nuts,,,,,when i started casting these two-handers,i did the dip on the way back-around,drive,so,now with help from the videos,and absolutely no help from my sinktip line i'm keeping my tip high,way high,in line,once i have a tag,boom ,drive er'!,using a lift motion,keeping the D,,more of a circle,plus i'm starting the forming of all my loading loops earlier,as well as driving them out,discovering that any tag'll work,almost any place,hard to describe,but,it's what i wanted a two hander for all along,i'm fishing places that were unfishable before,backed into brush,etc.plus ,more weight than ever,AWSOME!,,absolutely,a dream come tru',,o-k i'll quit slobberin',but,it's the best money i ever spent,,, 18 ft of magic,, . :hehe:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dana,

That's it? Well, so the was the (one of) issue(s) with Grant the increased anchor and potentially the "bloody L"? I started rereading "Fine and Far Off" again and got busy with the kids/house work.

I'll review my newsletter as they are gold. Anyone who is not a subscriber to Dana's newletter should seriously look at investing the $20. Simply put it is an awesome source.

I should have it I'll check, if not I'll let you know.

andre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts