Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around a bit but can't seem to find an answer to this. I noticed that a number of manufacturers of Switch rods have switched to a collapsible guide that looks like a wrapped spring (G Loomis, Harty etc.). I know there where guides that looked like a normal guide that collapse flat also.

My question is why the collapsible guides, do they receive rough treatment? Are they better when using a stripping basket? Anyone have experience using this type of spring guide?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
They are recoil guides, and I don't know why you would use any different spacing than any other guide type. Personally in over 40 years of fly fishing I have never broken or bent a guide so I see no need for them. They would help you on that trip of a lifetime if you somehow bent a guide, however, so I see how they appeal to some people.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What Pete said.

They are recoil guides, and I don't know why you would use any different spacing than any other guide type. Personally in over 40 years of fly fishing I have never broken or bent a guide so I see no need for them. They would help you on that trip of a lifetime if you somehow bent a guide, however, so I see how they appeal to some people.
Only time I can think I bent a guide was when I "Took a header" and tripped/fell on the beach. The bent guide was the least of my problems.:saevilw:

·
Registered
35 Posts
corrosion resistance

Recoil guides are a titanium alloy that is supposed to be very corrosion resistant. That could be helpful if fishing saltwater beaches or brackish estuaries. They are also very light, and there is never the danger of an insert popping out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recoil guides are a titanium alloy that is supposed to be very corrosion resistant. That could be helpful if fishing saltwater beaches or brackish estuaries. They are also very light, and there is never the danger of an insert popping out.
You are correct: light and corrosion resistant.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts