Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Wind

The Deschutes can really roar, to the point of making fly fishing almost impossible outside some sheltered areas. A heavier rod and the ability to cast off both sieds will allow you to fish in all but the most extreme conditions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using my new CND1308 with a windcutter. The wind was brutal at times, and changeing directions almost constantly. It was changing so fast that if you stared a double spey for a downstream wind you could end up like the little guy in the picture.

The one that gave me the most trouble was when it blew directly accross the river from my backside. Some of these were the nuke force winds the wind surfers like.

Guess I will be forced to go back tomorrow and do it again. I know its tough work, but somebodys gotta do it.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Skilly

Simon sent me one of his new Grand Spey 7/8 floating lines to test with my 7141.

It's real test came on the lower Rogue with stiff up stream winds in the morning and the swirling winds like you ran into.

Those winds ate my Windcutters, Mid Speys, Accelerators and me for lunch.

The Grandspey with a 15 foot furled leader handled all of them even with my limited casting abilities. The only problem were when a wind would come rushing down a canyon right into my face right before or after a cast. Even then, I could recover and get roll casts out to the seams.

Since then the line has worked well on the Napa River which can be a nightmare with tidal flows and swirling winds and often zero room for any sort of backcast or large D loop. The line and the 7141 can do a low roll cast into a wind 50' out with a 15' furled leader and a couple of feet of tippet. With a 14' rod that translates into a 70 to 80' roll cast from the your boots out.

In fact I have just ordered a Grand Spey 7/8 for my own.

The Grand Spey is a lot of heavy line and wears on an old 65 year old. However with winds, it will be my go to line. With no winds, I will go to my Mid Spey 7/8. I wish that Rio had this GS line out earlier this year, as it has been a windy year in N. California and Oregon.

So find out what Grand Spey works best for your new rod and contact Mark at USA Flyshop for a test drive.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I willl be seeing Mark this weekend. We are going Christmas shopping for our 11 grandkids.

I went back to the D this morning, infact I just got home. didnt hook anything but fished the floating tip all the time. I was having to much fun casting to worry about it. I had a very light wind. Tried Right up and left up. I want to get the left up. So I can easily change hands.
I am going to be shopping for a full floating line as soon as I find out which works best. I willl put it on the list and see if Yuro will give me a suggestion. One thing for sure I am having a love affair with this rod.

Catch some for me. The Descutes is about done for this year, and I probbably wont do much winter steelheading. My favorite trout stream fishes very well in the winter. Big trout.

Skilly

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Skilly re Rio/Simon's newest line recommendations for various rods

The link below will take you to Rio's 2004 line recommendation site for most Spey Rods.

Just tab down the page until you find your rod. Then go across the page for each line made by Rio for that rod. The A and B casting/casters is explained.

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
CND 1308 Custom

Skilly - you need to try some lines on your rod. I really like the RIO 7/8 midspey with this rod and the 7/8 long Delta. The traditional 7/8 is too long for my present skill level. The 7/8 XLT is too heav for the whole head, but not bad for fishable distances. find a couple of people with those lines and try them on your rod to see what works best for you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ted

Juro also suggested the RIO mid spey. I am going to try it and if we get some decent weather I want to try the long delta.

Skilly

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I believe I forgot to mention the long delta in the other post, in fact the standard delta is not a mid-length spey line. As Mike and Ted mentions, the long delta is a mid-belly spey line and a fine one at that. As they've mentioned the long delta in terms of grain weight would be the line designation of 7/8 to be in the same gain range (580).

That's not to say more grains or less for that matter won't work, I am only saying that this range is my preference is for the rod - others may differ based on their casting styles.

Sounds like you are going to have a busy holiday season!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it seems I will be busy. Didnt spend the day looking at Spey lines. Spent it looking for dolls for some of my granddaughters. Grandsons come next week. With a total of 11 it keeps us busy.
Then its`off to the fly shop for me. Already have the right gift for the wife.

Thanks guys for all the help,

Skilly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts