Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any info on this outfit? Goes by NorCalSwinger on this site. Northern California based apparantly. He, Josh, listed a spey rod on this site and I purchased it from him on Jan. 5. No rod and no communication from him since then. Did I get stiffed?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't know anything about him, but in my experience, guides are notoriously bad about responding to emails, etc. Probably because they are frequently in places without great cell service, and often work a lot more than 8 hours when all the prep time and driving time is included. I would not give up yet. He may have been off guiding somewhere when the deal was struck. Remember, if you used PayPal, there is a mechanism for resolution available. Just don't let the dates get away from you.

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
I've bought from him in the past with no issues. He was remote Alaska at the time and had extremely limited access. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again based on my experience. That being said...communication is key for me as a buyer or a seller. If paid via PayPal maybe shoot him an email to that address.

·
Registered
872 Posts
no rod? no communication? imo you got stiffed... We all take care of our transactions on this site in a timely manner

·
2LL's
121 Posts
If you do a search for his name on the forum, you can see he has bought and sold some stuff and has been a member for nearly 3 years, so looks legit.

Also on one of the posts he has an email address, not my business to post it, but you can easily find it to use if you search his posts.

·
flysdwn
18 Posts
For what it's worth, I recently purchased a reel off Josh. We exchanged multiple emails and had a pleasant back and forth about some upcoming trips I have. Once the reel shipped he supplied me with a tracking number and nice "Good Luck." I have yet to put my hands on the reel, as I am traveling for work, but it arrived a few days ago. My experience with him thus far has been great.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,242 Posts
Doesn't sound good,

I don't know him and am responding only because I read a reply saying that guides can be bad at replying to e-mail or calls.

I can relate to this up to a certain point. The point would be that there are people no doubt upset because they tried to contact me and I was gone for months. The difference would be / is, that once I agree to something and have a business deal with someone be it a couple hundred for a reel or thousands for an extended trip there are not lapses in preforming my end of the agreement once a deal has begun.

In other words there is a big difference in being upset because I never made a deal with you or being upset because someone took your money and then leaves you to wonder if they'll deliver. No one can say that I ever did that, ever! I'd hound the guy until he answered me or gave back my money. If he offered something for sale - then took payment - then went dark........... No excuses there and you are welcome to tell that Ard Stetts said so. Once the money changes hands there is no room for lax behavior.

Ard

·
Dom
3,054 Posts
He's been an active member with legitimate knowledge about this sport so I doubt he is pulling something bad here. Let's just hope everything on his end is ok. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update 1/24

Several members have commented on my original post, and there have been lots of views, so I think an update is in order.
Found a phone number on Josh's facebook page and called and left a message. He returned my call shortly and was able to give me a USPS tracking number for the rod shipment. The rod was shipped 5 days after money was sent and is apparently floating around out there somewhere in the postal system. So far, 19 days, it hasn't been able to make it from N. California to central Oregon.

Josh was very polite, seems like a nice guy, but when I asked why he hadn't, in three weeks, been able to get me a tracking number or respond to emails and personal messages, he said he "was busy guiding."

Fair enough, hope this will be my last reference to this matter on this site.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Great news, yet odd! I purchased a reel from a fellow pager and he was in Redding CA and I'm in Placerville CA area. Shipping should of been just a couple of days. Well the package took a ride to the east coast and back before I received it. This happened to someone else around the same time and both were usps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Josh is a good guy I can vouch for that being a Redding guy! I know that he was probably not blowing smoke your way! Lots of the guys here guide locally then Alaska then either some metal face stream and the mail sure does some strange stuff @Fyshhead for sure:) I was about to call him before I saw your update wish I woulda seen it sooner!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts