Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
When swinging marabou flies, or leaches is about 6 foot of water should I use weight?
I vote no.

·
Registered
39 Posts
big and fluffy

Well if it were me i would fish a lead eyed fluffy marabou or leachy creation with a type six or eight tip. But Poppy is a guru I would definaftly take what he has to say seriously.
speykid

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Hell No !!

I agree with MJC !!!

I tend not use any added weight to any fly , especially marabou !! I find it takes the " life " or action out of the fly . I will dress my flies on the sparse side if I want to make them sink more .

Just my opinion !!!

GR8LAKES

·
Registered
24 Posts
would'nt water temp really dictate if you should be putting weight or tips on? I dont think a fish will move much in sub 40 degree water.

cb

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
But Poppy is a guru I would definaftly take what he has to say seriously.

Poppy is definitely not a guru, I just don't think I need a weighted fly to fish in 6' of water.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Good point CB. Since he is pretty close to me I figured he was talking about the water temps we have been having around here. They have went down a bit but they aren't sub 40 as yet.

G

·
I think the biggest difference would be current. It's probably even more important than temperature much of the time. Except for summer steelhead that can be risen to a fly like Atlatnic salmon, fishing in six feet of water with significant current requires some type of weighting, either on the fly, the leader, or a dense sinking line. Flies like the intruder and string leech really don't fish as well without some type of weight at the head of the fly. It's a little bit like a gotcha or crazy charlie in bonefishing. It's not so much the need to get down as much as the action the weight gives to the fly. Call it jigging if you must, because in essence it is, but it is very effective.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are into S&M

Adding weight to your fly will make it hurt more, cause you to see more stars and drive the hook deeper when you hit yourself in the back of the head with the fly. If you are into pain, I suggest marriage as an alternative.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Ouch !!!

Mark Vegwert said:
Adding weight to your fly will make it hurt more, cause you to see more stars and drive the hook deeper when you hit yourself in the back of the head with the fly. If you are into pain, I suggest marriage as an alternative.
HaHaHaHa !!!! That's BAD !!! TRUE , but , BAD !!!

GR8LAKES

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks guys, for makeing my future soo auspicious. :eek: Hell, I'll take a log shack on the river any day!:hihi:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
sexyspeer-
There is no answer without a decision about the depth you want your fly to fish. This will depend on the activity level of the fish, which will be dependent on other variables. Once you decide fishing depth, estimate current speed, as JR SPEY states.

In a 3 mile per hour average current, depth of a fly at hangdown is 1-foot for each 6-feet of Rio's T14 or Cortland's LC13 sink tip materials. If you want to fish 2-feet deep, use 12-feet of the above, in 3 mph water.

If water velocity is half-speed [1.5 mph], double the depth the fly achieves at hangdown, in this case 12-feet of sink tip will bring a fly to 4-foot depth.

This is a good starting point. There are other factors that influence fly depth such as varying water velocity, "draggy" flies, etc. A draggy fly will ride higher in the water than a streamlined one.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Way too much mumbo jumbo!All good steelhead runs are 3 to 6 ft in undulating depth.If they arent ,I figure they arent worth my time!Therefore,I rarely change anything in terms of weight or tip.Any changes I need can be done through the cast angle.Go to page 254 in Dec Hogan's book" A Passion For Steelhead" and read his answer to my ?.
I will give you an interesting story of one time that I did fish water that did not interest me.I was on the Kharlovka.First time fishing for Atlantics.Guide took us to 1st falls pool.came around the bend following my guide and saw typcal canyon falls type of water that I hate and never bother to fish.The kind of water that always harbours inexperienced fishermen or plunker,sideplanner types in the PNW.I was totaly turned off!So I took out my camera and started to take photos instead of fishing.It was a magnificently beautiful place!
I was into the photos and seriously thinking of not fishing the pool!!I thought that might be insulting to my guide, Alex.So I finaly put down camera and picked up the rod.The pool was 20ft deep.I had been fishing my standard steelhead rig of 10ft tips of either type 8 or t14 with a 5 ft intermediate cheater.Took that off and went 18ft straight t14.Tossed aginst far side.Played a hand of hearts while waiting for it to swing across the tail.Bang,10 1/2 kilo male[picture in my gallery. titled spaceba=Russian for Thank You!].Beau

1 - 13 of 13 Posts