Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beautiful, sunny morning on my local river.
Water Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape

First time fishing with a new rod, a Loop Evotec 5wt switch rod. I had it out a few times trying different lines and finally settled on a Beulah Tonic Switch 375gr, makes a nice combo.
Water Sleeve Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake Angling

No big fish today but plenty of little dinks, even these small bass put a good bend in the rod. I don’t get the pleasure of a whole lot of takes while swinging during Steelhead season, so these hungry little buggers are a welcome departure!
Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Lake Fish

Water Vertebrate Fish Lake Fisherman

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
3,294 Posts
Took my little guy fishing on the same river recently for Carp, but used spinning tackle and corn for bait.
View attachment 401784
Anybody ever catch these on a fly rod?? That’d be pretty fun in the summer.
I've caught one small carp by chance on a single hand rod. Had several chances a big ones a few times but they can be tough.

Reactions: RMH

·
Registered
79 Posts
Took my little guy fishing on the same river recently for Carp, but used spinning tackle and corn for bait.
View attachment 401784
Yes, several times. Sometimes with SH rods, sometimes with spey rods. Always with dry flies: small beetles, gnats, bread flies, floating corn, and "pellet" flies (in this case it is profitable to attract them with some cat treats).
They are a great training ground for testing equipment ... right up to backing. In other words ... they pull like trains!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
In my smallmouth river, I have caught several River Redhorse (either above or below the falls) in fast water. As they hold in fast water, they hold down like logs, and they got some weight. Post submission add: once you get out of their hold, you are fighting a strong fish in fast current. No jumping, but bulldog run.

Human body Rectangle Handwriting Font Violet

Largest I seen in my river is around 45cm.

I know in the world of trout fishing, suckers are considered trash, but when the Scottish Settlers moved in, they were hunted for smoked fish (and stories say they were a treat).

The other weird catch - that freaked me out the first time - was the Eel in my Smallmouthriver. Our river keeper did acknowledged they exist, but the usual hydro-electric projects do a lot of damage to them.

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document

·
Registered
12 Posts
In SW PA when we have periodical Cicadas, well, any eastern state when there are periodical cicadas, carp hunt for them and eat them on the surface. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the slow motion "I cant find the fly" eat of a rubber lipped carp on a size 2 foam dry fly tied to an 8 weight. It's a special kind of fix. And yeah, me too... I swing my 6wt spey, scandi line and murdich minnows for smallies!
Water Vertebrate Hat Lake Sun hat
Water Liquid Fluid Underwater Organism

·
Rook on the Spey
19 Posts
So much fun. Thanks for sharing. I've swung smallies on the Snake with the 4 weight trout spey. I definitely feel like I have a better hook to grab ratio with the single hander though when it came to bass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
View attachment 401784
Yes, they’ll pounce on a bug nymph or purpose-tied carp fly in the summer (and fall, and spring, and winter, if you’ve got open water). Spooky to approach and they can be finicky, but once you hook one, be ready to see your backing — and keep your knuckles clear of the reel handles.

Reactions: RMH
1 - 20 of 21 Posts