Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

My wife and I are in the process of moving from Denver to Bozeman, Mt. While I am looking for a job this summer (she got a great one already), I am certainly hoping to get as much fishing in as possible.

I have been "spey" fishing for trout down here for a couple years now. Is there anyone on the board who two hands and swings flies in the Bozeman area rivers?

I will be getting to town around the 4th of July.....

I have been fly fishing for almost 20 years, have guided across Idaho and Colorado and plan on getting boat asap when I get there.

We know two people in the area so I would love to make some new contacts before i get there...

J

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Swinging for trout...

rkymtnspey said:
I have been "spey" fishing for trout down here for a couple years now. Is there anyone on the board who two hands and swings flies in the Bozeman area rivers?
J
I lived in N'West Wyoming for many years and I could definetly clue you in to many places. The Madison was my home away from home for most of my long weekends. The thing to remember is that Yellowstone is still a jewel for all of us...just do not go there between 4th of July and labor day. Holy busy :mad: Fish "between the lakes"(great runs and holes) and The Bear Trap cannon the other 8-9months. Bear Trap is closer to you(on the Bozeman side of Ennis) and almost taylor made for swinging soft hackles...the Madison is know for having riffles as far as the eye can see.
I could wax poetic about the Madison for awhile, so I will quit while we all are ahead.
Here's your last hints - I had two amazing days swinging my 6126 there last October(hint hint) in some not so secret spots(anymore) inside the West Yellowstone gates, that are named b/c of what used to be there.(hint hint) :smokin:

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Oh yeah, swinging up here is alive and well!!

I think you will love it up here, I moved up here from Estes Park in 2001 & although I'm not making the $$$ that I would somewhere else but I sure do fish alot! There are very few of us who fish trout spey's but the interest is growing. I really can't think of a better place to fish light spey rods for trout. The Yellowstone and Madison fish extremely well with spey techniques & you can target larger (20" +) fish that others fishing single handers can't get to or just whiz by big fish holding water in drift boats. Right now I am tying 3-5" tube fly sculpin patterns for big browns & they work really well! Your goiing to be a happy camper! - Lawrence

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
in the fall and spring i am sure you could do well swinging streamers on sink tips in any of the area streams.. nearby you'll have the Lower Madison and the Jefferson to the west and the Yellowstone to the east.. All within an hour drive...

·
Peter Finnis
85 Posts
This is all getting me excited. Iam vacationing in West Yellowstone for 2 weeks from 18 September with the express purpose of swinging flies for big fish on the madison and yellowstone. Mr Meiser is currently putting together a custom 12ft 6ins 4/5/6 for me. Anyone fancy helping out a fellow enthusiast from the UK? Any hints on fly patterns and size, presentation techniques, etc. It would be great to meet up with some like minded souls while in the area as well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Peter... rule 1 Bring LOTS of warm clothes!!!! September is the beginning of winter in Montana not the beginning of fall like everywhere else.. Don't be suprised if it snows... of course the same could be said about July *LOL*..

flies.. big wolley buggers in black, brown ,white and my personal favorite chartruce with a grey hackle.. other good patterns ares woll head sculpins and bunny leeches...

the Madison below the bear trap canyon and the jefferson river would all be good bets in september but always be ready with a 4wt and some Blue winged olive immitations as well..

·
Peter Finnis
85 Posts
roballen said:
Peter... rule 1 Bring LOTS of warm clothes!!!! September is the beginning of winter in Montana not the beginning of fall like everywhere else.. Don't be suprised if it snows... of course the same could be said about July *LOL*..

flies.. big wolley buggers in black, brown ,white and my personal favorite chartruce with a grey hackle.. other good patterns ares woll head sculpins and bunny leeches...

the Madison below the bear trap canyon and the jefferson river would all be good bets in september but always be ready with a 4wt and some Blue winged olive immitations as well..
Many thanks, I knew it was worth asking. I have already tied most of the patterns you recommend but I never would have thought of Chartreuse & Grey. I'll tie some for sure. Because of similarities to UK trout stream fishing, I have the 4 weight and box full of tiny dries and nymphs. Thanks for the tip about warm clothes. I will pack as if it were for the coldest UK winter weather!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
i should clarify. when i say large wolley buggers i am talking like a size 2 or a size 4 3x long... talking about flies that are 2-3 inches long...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to almost everyone

Thank you for the tips and encouragement! We can't wait to get up there as this really is a dream come true for us. For those in Bozeman, ....I would love to wet a line, drink a beer or tie some flies together.

Mr Finnis: Drop me a line as you get closer to your vacation. I will hopefully be able to give you some advice when you get here. I studied and fished in the UK a great deal and would love to repay some of the kindness I received when I was on your side of the "pond".

Argos...your post strikes me as stupid. You don't live in Bozeman..why do you care...last I checked the offical census had the population at a little over 32k....I find it hard to believe that two more envrionmently minded folks will tip things over...."poor bozeman". Give me a break...last time i checked a tourist on a fishing trip from Oregon was no different that one with green license plates from Colorado. In fact, tell everyone in Oregon that the Colorado folks destroyed the town and the rivers, there are no fish left and they should not even bother...

·
Peter Finnis
85 Posts
rkymtnspey said:
Mr Finnis: Drop me a line as you get closer to your vacation. I will hopefully be able to give you some advice when you get here. I studied and fished in the UK a great deal and would love to repay some of the kindness I received when I was on your side of the "pond".
Many thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to take you up on it. Glad to hear you have had a positive experience with UK anglers. I'll be in touch nearer the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts