Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of these are from several weeks ago for a recent trip to Pineville, NY. I didn't connect to any fresh fish then.
PB174192.jpg
Then, a few days ago on The Appomattox River, 20 minutes from my place:
Striped Bass - 26.5 "
PB164186.jpg
And the one, an old tie form a previous post:
PB174196.jpg

Anyhow - Hope all are doing well and getting theirs. I'm sitting out this polar blast as long as I can...

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Those are beautiful flies for sure!

Did you catch the striper on one of the flies shown?

Nice fish!!! Thanks for sharing.

KC

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and - yes this striper hit the olive/black married-wing. It was a total chance encounter. I went out to do some casting without expecting much action. Maybe a smallmouth, definitely not this anadromous striper. I stepped to the waters edge and made two false-casts to get the head out of the guides. On the first cast, one good mend and let the fly settle to begin swimming across the riffle at a head. The rod simply started pumping just like when a steelhead grabs. No aerial displays, but some very determined runs well into the backing. Then a little bit of hunkering down and dogging me some more. Quite the Game-fish.

I was asked for close-ups of the three:
PB174189.jpg

PB174190.jpg

PB174191.jpg
Thanks again and for the interest.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I love all three of those flies, very very nice, you nailed it, make more!

Are you a southpaw by any chance?

J

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Fun report and I've always liked your flies...they have that old world look and class...plus they work.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Great stuff Vic !!
Like Adrian said , your flies have such class , they catch the attention of both fish and fishermen .
I caught my first striper this year on the Margaree .... actually three , I agree they put up quite the battle !!

Mike

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Beautiful work. I'm glad you got there when you did- I'm afraid it's under 5 ft of snow over the last 24 hrs.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Pure class. I don't care what type of fish you are fishing for, when you catch one on a classic, there is no better feeling. Well played.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts