Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skajit casting,when making a Double Spey, do you need to do anything different when sweeping with the current than against the current? How does wading depth and water speed affect your sweep? Thanks in advance slack

·
Registered
30 Posts
curious about this too

I find I get a better load on the rod when casting off my upstream shoulder and sweeping against the direction of the current. Presumably, there's a greater load on the rod due to water friction by the current.

If the above is true, are there any suggestions/modifications one should make when sweeping in the same direction of (or against) the current?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This is where line mending brings a lot to the Party.

Depending upon how fast you want your swing a up stream mend then follow the line with your rod tip. Tip above the line will slow down the swing, rod tip ahead of the line will tend to speed up the swing.

Fav place to cast has a bit of 'slow water' right off the beach and you can really play the game as your fly moves with the current. The edge of the two gives you the 'perfect seam' to run down your fly(s). Just personal preference but the slower my flies moving the better. :smokin:

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Skagit Double Spey

When doing a traditional sweep, that is starting low, gradual incline, rise to key position & fire, the cast is dependent upon the "white mouse" to load the rod. The "white mouse" (or white rat as I used to call it) is created by the ripping the line off the water at a faster rate than the current speed. Therefore, when in faster current the sweep must be faster.

There is another sweep not dependent on the white mouse, but on centrifugal force. The rod tip is held high all the way through the sweep, throwing the line out & around to load the rod. This method is demonstrated in depth on the Skagit Master I DVD.

On the matter of wading deep and the cast, Alexander Grant theorized that for every foot of elevation the rod tip was above the water, you gained nine feet of distance to the cast. That was a long time ago when men were men & rods were 20ft long. (and casts were 150 ft without shooting line) With that in mind, I prefer to work at depths ranging from shin to hip depth.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Speyers for your input. Just one other thought or question why when SH over head casting must I accelerate the rod tip to keep the rod loaded even when making a water haul, but constant speed without acceleration when making a sweep keeps the rod loaded? Thanks again slack

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are doing a double spey, whether with a Skagit or any other set-up, your sweep will always occur with the current regardless of river right vs. left. Unless, of course, your line floats upstream after your cast. [Insert "duh" emoticon here]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweep mysteries

Thank you double stump ,your are correct about the Double Spey. Lets re phrase the question. Is it easier to keep the rod under tension sweeping against the current or with it. Thanks slack

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Just one other thought or question why when SH over head casting must I accelerate the rod tip to keep the rod loaded even when making a water haul, but constant speed without acceleration when making a sweep keeps the rod loaded?
Here is my guess:

In the absence of a medium -- which, overhead casting, is true to first approximation -- F = MA, so, mass being constant, force is proportional to acceleration. Constant acceleration = constant force = constant load. And I don't agree this is true with a water haul. Go try a really really fast pickup with a floating line water loaded, preferably with a rod you don't mind sending away for repair.

With resistance of a fluid medium, force is proportional to velocity, typically nonlinearly so. So, constant velocity, constant force. It is also true that a rotating object at fixed rotation speed is under constant inward acceleration, but I'm skeptical this is a significant effect in rod loading during the sweep of a spey cast.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Rod load vs overload

The start slow & speed up thing is all about defeating water friction, getting all the slack out of the line, getting it moving, and then pulling it off the water to properly load the rod. Properly being defined as an even bend in the blank, as opposed to collapsing the tip by trying to jerk the line off the water.

When first starting out in this spey thing, just keep to the basics, without trying to get too technical. Information overload leads to confusion. There are little tricks that can enhance the cast, but they must come at a later date & one at a time. You must first learn to walk, before you can run grasshopper.

BTW: although irrelevant to the discussion, the formula is F=MV²

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know which would be easier, into or against current, but in fast current I struggle to place the anchor correctly because it is moving into me or away from me much quicker. I have less time to line up and sweep into the backcast.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sorry to be both pedantic and off-topic, but there is no force for which F=MV².

F = (bunch of other constants) * V², perhaps.

t'less,
Off-topic, perhaps but your pedanticism is appreciated.

sixheads

·
Carp aficionado
1,215 Posts
Deeper wading can mean you have to adjust your overhang and/or your hand height.

As far as the double goes, if current speed is so fast that changing the anchor point still doesn't compensate enough, I'd switch casts to a snap/circle something so the sweep rips against the current, or just do rolls and singles if possible.

·
Registered
848 Posts
leave it to a bunch of engineers to obliterate my alpha state while fishing by reducing it to some damn formulae -----which is one of the reasons why I stayed away from physics and engineering!!!!!

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
dang, you feelin' bad Stumpy, I was coasting along in Theta till I hit this thread!

Even when others overthink it jacks my ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts