Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
For some true dream salmon, check out the web site of my "home" river:

www morrum.com

Click on English version and then Latest news. Unfortunately, I´m not in any of those pics! May fishing has been very good this year.

/fredtrout

(Message edited by moderator to remove hot link. Please read Forum use agreement regarding use of links to non-sponsor sites. -- sinktip)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fredtrout,

You are one lucky guy to have such fishing on your doorstep. I checked out the website and I am already thinking about holidaying there. Unfortunately, I think I will have to sweet talk my wife, and arrange the finances for a later date.

The cost of fishing and accomodation also seem very reasonable.

Must check out flight costs!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the cost is nothing compared to the best Scottish/Norwegian rivers, not to mention the Russian rivers. There are also really cheap air fares between Britain and Sweden nowadays. Since the Swedish currency is pretty weak compared to the pound I think a Brit would get away with a lot less for a weeks fishing in Sweden (including air fare) than fishing one of the top beats in Scotland.

But be warned! The Morrum has a reputation as being one of the trickiest rivers in the world to fish. Of course it happens that first time visitors catch salmon, but when it comes to the fresh run May salmon, most of the catches are by experienced anglers that know every lie and how/when to fish. Hiring a guide really improves your chances, as elsewhere. I think that a major problem is that they allow too many rods on the beats (I´m talking about the public stretch here). You often have to wait a long time to get your shot on the best pools - I think that too many people there (not the locals) show signs of bad fishing ethics, ie appering to be welded to the river floor, never moving and letting others have a try. Also, the river gets pretty low and warm during summer, which reduces your chances. Another thing - sadly the Baltic salmon is not exactly royal food. If absolutely fresh run, it´s ok, but only after a few days it´s not even possible to rescue it by smoking it. More and more people return their Morrum salmon, which I think is good.

(However, I try to fish the Morrum (the public strech) at least a few days a year. It´s absolutely faboulous fly water, especially when you fish the pools out of the village. There are nice pools with less commotion where you can really enjoy your fishing. Just remember to be up with the sun!)

There are other stretches further upstream that are less frequented, simply because they are very hard to get onto unless you have the right connections. (I myself am hoping for a chance at ABU/Garcias exclusive stretch this summer :) )

For parties of five or six anglers I would recommed to stay at the Walhalla Hotel, which have excellent exclusive fishing upstream from the public beats where you don´t have to argue with nimrods about fishing ethics. The non-public beats record a lot more fish per angler.

I think that the public fishing office sells and ships books/pool guides about the river, translated into English and German. I have a few of those and they are well worth getting if you´re planning a trip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fredtrout,

Thank you very much for the information. I am used to fishing public/association water, as a lot of my fishing time is on such waters. If fished at the right times in the right conditions these busy waters can be very productive, as I am sure you know.

I know what you mean about other anglers taking an age to go down a pool, I've grown a beard waiting on some anglers to move down a pool. The other problem is the bait fishers, who can be static while fishing. I usually just ask "Do you mind if I fish through?" and, because they know they are breaking the rules, they usually conceed.

Once again, thank you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good thing about Morrum is that the pools are divided into spinning and fly fishing pools. Generally, the spinning pools are slower and not very good for fly fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts